Stacks... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Stacks...

I have never been a big fan of stacks on pickups. They look good on some trucks and set up right...

Here is the deal...

I am running on a low compression used motor right now, and to make matters worse I am at 5500' right now in Prescott. Add to that a rather large turbo that takes a bit to light and you can guess... I smoke a bit.

Even without trying I will blow out a huge cloud until the turbo lights. I really try to tenderfoot it off stop lights and can control it quite well once underway.

I am thinking of adding a single 5" or 6" stack on the drivers side, just to get it up off the ground so I dont smoke everyone out... cant run more then a single due to the fuel tank and tool box in the bed.

So questions are,

Those of you with stacks, loud in the cab when cruising? Soot all over the truck when warming up? would you do it again?

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
MINK

Re: Stacks...

alot louder in the cab...my truck is black so the soot aint bad but I also try to wash mine once a week.

Josh Mink
CAMB MOTORSPORTS
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Lovin Life...

Single Aussie should give you enough exhaust velocity to keep most of the soot off the truck. I've been told that aussies and turnouts are the quietest in the cab, but cannot personally confirm that as all I've run is twin Aussies. For me, even with headers, it is easy to have a normal conversation in the cab. I have a crew cab.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 AM
PSN Veteran

I've got a white truck and single 6" I do notice I get alot of little black specs on top of my cab from startup after a heavy dew or light rain. Other than that no soot problems.

In cab noise is definately pronounced but as long as you mount the top of the stack above the cab it's bearable.

Even with a stack I can still make cars hit their brakes, but it is alot better than shooting it out the side.

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Sound in the cab isnt that bad while cruising...but when you're taking off or heavy footin it you cant really talk in the cab...

I have a white truck and rarely ever see any soot on the truck.

All in all Im very pleased with mine, but if your sole purpose is to not smoke people out then stacks wont help that much as the smoke goes directly behind the truck...seems like blowing it out the side over the shoulder of the road would actually be better...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Sound in the cab isnt that bad while cruising...but when you're taking off or heavy footin it you cant really talk in the cab...

I have a white truck and rarely ever see any soot on the truck.

All in all Im very pleased with mine, but if your sole purpose is to not smoke people out then stacks wont help that much as the smoke goes directly behind the truck...seems like blowing it out the side over the shoulder of the road would actually be better...
Duals...

With my old stage 2's... for example.

I would go with a single turnout clear to the passanger side...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Duals...

With my old stage 2's... for example.

I would go with a single turnout clear to the passanger side...
stock exit exhaust... looks like the road is clearer than with my stacks..

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
PSN Local

Just removed my 7" mitres after 2 years. There is zero way you will not have soot flakes all over a white truck. Soot builds up and eventually flakes off and out. It was loud inside with the CC. I do miss the look/sound at times, but had enough for now... Rain/snow also makes for a nice treat

00 F250 CC SB 35's, .......
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Soot all over the truck, black slushy water all over the whole thing, loud as hell and annoying.

Mine is getting a nice 5'' out the rear as soon as I have time. I am still dd'ing the truck all over and I hate it. I did it for the pulling rules, but I do not have time or money to break stuff now that I have a lil power.

I did run a set of aluminum dual stacks that I built that were real qiuet, this single is anything but quiet.

I think there is more smoke in the road with the stack(s) than without.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

hummmm... I was hoping to get it off the road a bit... Really, I am not a smoker, and hate it.

But I can not afford a new motor right now... 5500 feet is not helping!

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode