PSN Newb

New to 6.0

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:59 PM
PSN Local

Re: New to 6.0

First thing I would do is get the front end fixed, then worry about the motor. If it runs and drives good, I woudln't worry about bullet proofing it just yet. What are you going to be using the truck for? Daily driver to and from work? Or pulling heavy loads every day?

With 227K miles on it, you really need to get it running and driving and see what kind of shape the motor is in. If it was well taken care of, you might be ok to just do an EGR delete, rebuild the oil cooler, flush the coolant, and drive it. If it's been abused and ran into the ground...it might not even be worth messing with it (depending on what you want to do with it). The list of parts these things "might" need can be very long...and very expensive...especially if you have a shop do the work for you. EGR Delete, Oil Cooler Rebuild, Turbo issues, Injector issues, head gasket issues, cylinder head issues, camshaft, lifters, pushrods, d-plugs and standpipes, FICM, HPOP, oil leaks, head gasket issues, on and on.....

It's really going to depend on what it actually needs. Just it running and driving first.....and then go from there.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks View Post
First thing I would do is get the front end fixed, then worry about the motor. If it runs and drives good, I woudln't worry about bullet proofing it just yet. What are you going to be using the truck for? Daily driver to and from work? Or pulling heavy loads every day?

With 227K miles on it, you really need to get it running and driving and see what kind of shape the motor is in. If it was well taken care of, you might be ok to just do an EGR delete, rebuild the oil cooler, flush the coolant, and drive it. If it's been abused and ran into the ground...it might not even be worth messing with it (depending on what you want to do with it). The list of parts these things "might" need can be very long...and very expensive...especially if you have a shop do the work for you. EGR Delete, Oil Cooler Rebuild, Turbo issues, Injector issues, head gasket issues, cylinder head issues, camshaft, lifters, pushrods, d-plugs and standpipes, FICM, HPOP, oil leaks, head gasket issues, on and on.....

It's really going to depend on what it actually needs. Just it running and driving first.....and then go from there.

It runs & drives great. I'm just going to be daily driving it and towing a light trailer here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2669 View Post
I recently purchased a 2004 f350 6.0 with 227,000 on it bone stock. I purchased it for 1,600 from an auction it had been hit in the front end. A lot of people told me to bulletproof it but that would cost around 9,000 so I have been told. Just looking for some advice on what i should do.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I donít get it... youíre getting repeated answers/replies...

Purchased A 6.0 Good Or Bad?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

ďDonít overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..Ē
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 PM
PSN Local

If it was me, I would go out and buy a scanner or some way to monitor all of the sensors on the motor ($15 ELM Bluetooth adapter and $5 Torque PRO phone app) so you can see what's going on with it. I would also put a gauge on the coolant tank and make sure you are not getting up to 16psi coolant pressure and dumping coolant out of your coolant cap...if you are seeing 16psi coolant pressure, you have a head gasket leak. Also, make sure your oil temp and coolant temps (Delta T) don't get over 15 degrees.....that will mean that your oil cooler is bad and needs rebuilt.

If everything checks out good, I would just drive it. For reliability, I would probably at least do an EGR delete on it, maybe ARP head studs and new head gaskets if you are thinking about putting a larger HP tune on it. Most shops will do an EGR Delete and ARP studs for $3,000-$4,000 depending on what else you want done, or if they find any other issues when they are doing into the motor.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode