Purchased A 6.0 Good Or Bad? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Purchased A 6.0 Good Or Bad?

I just purchased a 2004 f350 with the 6.0l turbo diesel I have heard a lot of good things and bad things about this engine. The truck currently has 227,000 on it. It's not bulletproofed completely stock. Is there anything I should do to it? I'm new to the 6.0 engines. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 PM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Purchased A 6.0 Good Or Bad?

Bulletproof it. ARP headstuds and egr delete. New ford oil cooler. Re-seal injectors and everything else that you take apart

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Bulletproofdiesel.com

EGR delete $792
BPD oil cooler $2045
Head Gasket $1310
Heads new $2300 https://kcturbos.net/products/6-0-po...cylinder-heads

Injector 175/30 $2000
O-ring heads $1500
HPOP $1300 (dieselsite)
Ficm $821
Water pump $350
=$10,118 ($12,418 if new heads from kcturbo)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Junkie View Post
Bulletproof it. ARP headstuds and egr delete. New ford oil cooler. Re-seal injectors and everything else that you take apart

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Thank you

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
Bulletproofdiesel.com

EGR delete $792
BPD oil cooler $2045
Head Gasket $1310
Heads new $2300 https://kcturbos.net/products/6-0-po...cylinder-heads

Injector 175/30 $2000
O-ring heads $1500
HPOP $1300 (dieselsite)
Ficm $821
Water pump $350
=$10,118 ($12,418 if new heads from kcturbo)

Thanks I appreciate your time.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

also, it would likely benefit you to know whether this is an early or late build motor. there's subtle differences, but they are important when there's a problem! easierst way to tell is if the ICP sensor is onthe passenger side valve cover towards the front of motor, that's a late build. if its down in the valley under the turbo then its an early build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

oh, and figure out the type & age of ALL of the existing fluids you have installed. and then proceed to change the old ones and replace teh incorrect ones with quality fluid. one of the most common "fluids" mistakes on the 6.0 is using the universal green or ford gold coolant in a 6.0. it really needs a quality ELC with an EC-1 rating in the cooling system

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

& i'll add in these because i didn't read them in the above posts: updated standpipes/dummy plugs if needed, and blue spring upgrade FPR.

do you have any service records for the truck? would be nice to know for sure if anything has been done to it. if you know the dealership that it was serviced at, they will send you the records that they have for the VIN. i've done that before.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:09 PM
PSN Local

You can do all that stuff right away. However, if its running good why would you? Save that stuff for later down the road when it needs it unless you like spending money. Many of these trucks have gone more miles than that on stock hardware.

I would flush the coolant if it has the Ford Gold in it and replace it with a CAT ELC equivalent. I believe between the dirty blocks, Ford Gold coolant without flushes, and poor EGR coolers are what gave the 6.0 such a bad name. Check your temps for oil and coolant to see what the deltas are. If the deltas are more than 15 at 60mph on flat ground you need to back flush the oil cooler and possibly replace it. No need for a BPD oil cooler, the Ford cooler works just fine and is about $2000 cheaper. If you replace the oil cooler get rid of the EGR cooler at that time or replace it with the BPD cooler. Replace the injectors only if needed. With over 220k miles they have probably been done.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:15 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

oh yeah, i forgot, there's that braided updated turbo drain tube too iirc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode