my idea to run 3 fuel tanks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

my idea to run 3 fuel tanks

ok guys i've been brain storming and i think this is what im going to do

I do a lot of long road trips and i hate having to stop all the time and fuel up.I was thinking of putting a tank in the bed but its only 6 ft and it is already packed full of chit when i travel so i was maybe going to get a topper and get a 100 gal tank and put it in the bed and just stack up my gear.Well toppers are expensive and they dont really look all that great so.... Now my latest and greatest brain fart is to put another 29 gal tank on the passenger side and put a 44 gal excursion tank in place of the spare tire. In order to put a tank on the other side i think ill just have to shorten my exhaust and come out under the cab or maybe reroute it towards the center and come out in the rear somewhere. The downside of coming out under the cab ill have to invest in a better sound system because it'll be loud.
Now this is where it gets complicated i want to be able to run bio in one tank or diesel in the others.So i need a solinoid that will return back to the tank it is taking fuel from so i dont contaminate my other tanks.Where can i get one it will have to have 6 ports right and will i be able to read how full the tank that i have selected is.Also will the stock fuel pump pull bio or do i have to get another pump set up to run all of this.
Ok now for the filling up part of this i would like to come out of the side just like the stock filler neck that way when i have to fill up i wont have to unload my truck and maybe if i dont have access to bio and i just want to run clear in all of the tanks i would like to link all of the tanks together so i would just have to flip a switch and fill all 3 tanks off of one neck instead of having to run around to 3 different filler necks like a pit crew just to fill up!

Has anybody hooked up a aux tank off of the stock pump and returned back to the aux tank and what all did you have to do im trying to fiqure out how hard it will be to get all of this rigged up and if you guys think it is at all possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:26 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: my idea to run 3 fuel tanks

In bed tank with a gravity feed... Easy cheesey...

1600 miles nonstop.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 AM
PSN Newb

Just use the standard switching valve for the saddle tanks so you have the feed,return and guage like the OBS trucks .For the third tank just use a seperate electric fuel pump to transfer the fuel to the stock tank.when it goes empty and you switch to the other side .Done this on a older truck i had and worked great with the thirsty 454 it had .

2000 CREWCAB SB 4X4

7.3 AUTOMETER ULTRALITE (PYRO,BOOST,TRANS TEMP)

HPOX LINE, DIY INTAKE, STRAIGHT PIPE, REG RETURN

HYPERTECH TUNES (FOR NOW)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Canadian Eh

Ford Large Capacity Diesel Fuel Tanks for Pickup Trucks ~ TITAN Diesel Fuel Tanks: The Leader in Aftermarket Fuel Tanks
check out one of these, almost double the stock fuel amount in the factory location.
one of the plus the EX tank would be alot

96 F250 7.3, auto, eclb, D60 swap, TS 6 pos, diy intake, Flo-pro turboback, ccv mod, Isspro gauges, Detroit Truetrac, 16x10 eagles, 315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I need the room in my bed so a inbed tank will not work very well for me.
i will try and find a obs truck with the switching valves here in town i bet i could find one for a gasser pretty easily but will the gas setup work in a diesel.Also i believe all of those older trucks have intank fuel pumps so im not sure how well that would work. Those titan tanks would be nice but i really dont feel like paying over a grand for a 51 gal tank.Anybody have any other ideas on how i can do this thanks kyler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode