Rust elmination and prevention - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tjctransport
  • 1 Post By ​ DieselDC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Rust elmination and prevention

Going to start cleaning the rust from under my 2000. So what does everyone use? Was thinking wire brushing, then some type of chemical for rust, then painting under the truck. All input welcome.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Master BS'er

Re: Rust elmination and prevention

Man, if you're wanting to wire brush it you're going to be there for a long time. That sounds terrible.

I'd probably just paint over it.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 01:21 PM
PSN Newb

I'd probably brush off any loose stuff, use a rust converter and then paint over thr top. That's the plan for my 2001

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:12 PM
alleged moderator

i pressure wash any large stuff, then spray once or twice with ospho. once the rust area turns flat black, i prime with rustoleum industrial red oxide primer and finish coat with rustoleum industrial semi gloss black.
loganhorse likes this.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhorse View Post
Going to start cleaning the rust from under my 2000. So what does everyone use? Was thinking wire brushing, then some type of chemical for rust, then painting under the truck. All input welcome.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To do it properly IMHO , cab off. Go to town with Rustoleum Black 3 coats - no clear no nothing.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
loganhorse likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:17 PM
PSN Newb

I recently started something similar on my 2008 F350. Granted, it's only ten years old, but that's long enough for surface rust to form on all the steel suspension parts. I started off by putting the truck up on jack stands and removing the wheels and tires. This makes it easier to access all the nooks and crannies. I sprayed a rust removal chemical on all the rusty parts, then let it sit for 30 minutes. Afterwards, I pressure washed everything I could reach. I let it drip dry for a hour or so before going back underneath with a couple of cans of brake cleaner. Don't buy the name brand stuff for this task, because you're going to use a lot of it. Scotchbrite green pads and terry towels help remove any stubborn rust and/or grease and oil. This is key for proper paint adhesion. Make sure to wear eye protection when under the vehicle to keep dirt and chemicals out of your eyes. Also, nitrile gloves are crucial to protect your hands from the harsh brake cleaner. After all surfaces are scrubbed down, blast or "rinse" one last time with brake cleaner. Let dry for several hours to be sure there is no residual water in the cracks and crevices. I hastened the process with a big shop fan. For recoating, I used VHT Chassis and Roll Bar paint in gloss black. It is also available in satin black if that's your thing. Spray everything you want to protect being careful not to get any paint on your brake rotors. Keep a can on hand for occasional touch ups here and there. The key is to stay ahead of rust a little at a time and not let it get out of hand. Here's some pics of the finished product. You can easily see the difference between what I treated and what I didn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180527_111333_1527434156123.jpg (13.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180527_111151_1527434178586.jpg (14.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180527_111102_1527434191719.jpg (17.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180527_111044_1527434207554.jpg (14.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180527_111038_1527434220892.jpg (15.6 KB, 15 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode