What hitches do you use for "bumper" towing? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What hitches do you use for "bumper" towing?

Not exactly bumper pull towing, but what I mean is not goose neck or 5th wheel towing

I recently got a 4 inch drop hitch for my 2006 4x4 F350 to tow my open top car trailer

But the hitch says it's rated for a 5k pound load and the 2 inch ball says it's rated for a 6k pound load

My car trailer is a dual 3500 pound axle set up and is about 2k pounds or so empty and my race car I usually tow is about 2800 pounds or so, plus a few tires on my trailer's tire rack

The trailer + car + tires is well within the 7k pound capacity of the trailer, but that exceeds the 4 inch drop hitch's 5k capacity

Am I doing something wrong here or not seeing something? I need a drop hitch for my truck since the truck is fairly tall even just on stock ride height and tires, which reduces the load capacity a bit. But even then, with a 2 inch receiver it I can't seem to find a hitch that goes anything over 6k pounds

I know there's something out there. I've seen guys bumper pull a 2 car trailer no problem and that's probably in the 8-10k range easily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 PM
PSN Veteran

What hitches do you use for "bumper" towing?

Get that and be done with it. I have it. Failed? Never. Abused? Yes, yes all the time. You wonít find a better hitch for the price unless you want to spend several hundred for a hitch rated to tow 25-30k yet no idiot would bumper tow that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 PM

Re: What hitches do you use for "bumper" towing?

That's a bad link.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM
PSN Local

I think you are confusing tongue weight with trailer weight. If you look at say like Curt hitch site or even on Amazon There are a lot of Class 5 drop hitches well over 10,000 trailer weight .

On my own truck just bought , a 1999 F350 4x4 dually, I am replace the factory 10,000 # receiver hitch with a Curt Heavy Duty Class 5 17,000 hitch and also with be getting a new weight distributing hitching with 1700# bars. I pull a fairly heavy equipment trailer , non-goose neck, and want the extra safety.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
That's a bad link.

Thank you - should work now. Uploaded a photo justnin case.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:49 PM
PSN Local

Although that might be a good hitch, personally I think I would prefer the 2 pin design ones.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Itís a great hitch. I got it b/c it was one pin. Didnít want to mess with two pins. That thing is solid steel and the pin is set in the middle and braced by its ends and the drop frame itself. For the money, Iím satisfied. I wasnít going to spend hundreds on something built 100x stronger and for which I will never exceed. I got my GN for them heavy weights.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 03:31 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
Itís a great hitch. I got it b/c it was one pin. Didnít want to mess with two pins. That thing is solid steel and the pin is set in the middle and braced by its ends and the drop frame itself. For the money, Iím satisfied. I wasnít going to spend hundreds on something built 100x stronger and for which I will never exceed. I got my GN for them heavy weights.

Guess that is why it is always nice to hear personal experience from someone on a product.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

that's not a bad price for an adjustable heavy duty hitch, actually. I might pick that one up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy4614 View Post
I think you are confusing tongue weight with trailer weight. If you look at say like Curt hitch site or even on Amazon There are a lot of Class 5 drop hitches well over 10,000 trailer weight .

On my own truck just bought , a 1999 F350 4x4 dually, I am replace the factory 10,000 # receiver hitch with a Curt Heavy Duty Class 5 17,000 hitch and also with be getting a new weight distributing hitching with 1700# bars. I pull a fairly heavy equipment trailer , non-goose neck, and want the extra safety.
I was looking around at walmart, harbor freight, lowes, etc and all I could find were hitches like this

Reese - Class III/IV: 2? Ball Mounts

I know class 5 hitches are pretty beefy but my truck came from the factory with a class 4 hitch which has a 2" receiver. I see the difference in tongue weight and trailer weight. The tongue weight on these things are in the upper hundreds and the trailer weight is around 6000 or so
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What do you think of this curt unit? It seems like this is the hitch that would be able to tow a triple axle bumper pull enclosed or a large flat bed load of hay to me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-45900-...oAAOSwAPVZJYks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode