Special primer? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Special primer?

I found some paintable bumpers for my '08 and I'll be ditching my chrome ones in a few days.

I plan on sanding the bumpers down to smooth out some scratches and to give the paint something to bite onto.

I've had good success with Bulldog adhesion promoter but I'm wondering if there is a special primer I should use before the basecoat?

I've seen 2k(?) primers used on chrome bumpers. I've heard good things, but these aren't chrome so I don't know if there is that same need.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 PM
STILL LEARNING

Re: Special primer?

I would use a self etching prime on bare metal but Y2k primer is a filler prime. I would use IMROM on the front bumper to hold up against the stone chips a lil better than base/clear

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 AM
PSN Local

The paint guy that did mine just used primer and standard base clear process. It has held up pretty well so far, but there are a few chips.

05 ccsb 4x4,4"MBRP turbo back, zoodad, AFE intake, Recon smoked turn signals, Recon interior lighting, Autometer gauges

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
I would use a self etching prime on bare metal but Y2k primer is a filler prime. I would use IMROM on the front bumper to hold up against the stone chips a lil better than base/clear
What's IMROM? I'm going to be painting my bumper as soon as I get my Sata, but def. want to know about this stuff.
I asked my paint supply store and he mention some thing and was wondering if it's the same.

Thanks,
Marc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
STILL LEARNING

IMRON is a single stage paint made by DUPONT. It is what tractor trailers, heavy equipment, Planes, you name it is painted with. SUPER durable.

Imron® Polyurethane Enamels | DuPont Performance Coatings - appp20.asp.dupont.com

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
IMRON is a single stage paint made by DUPONT. It is what tractor trailers, heavy equipment, Planes, you name it is painted with. SUPER durable.

Imron® Polyurethane Enamels | DuPont Performance Coatings - appp20.asp.dupont.com
Thanks a bunch Brad! My paint supply store I have an account with doesn't carry DuPont which is a bummer, but there's a DuPont distributor around the corner from them.

So they obviously can match paint codes with the IMRON, so I will be checking on this product.
Heck it may even be cost effective for my work.

Again I apprciate the info.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 AM
STILL LEARNING

No problem. Glad I could help

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
PursuitInterceptor

I used some rattle can Krylon primer and their Ultra Flat black (part of their camo paint) and I'm surprised at how well it has held up.

I used 1 can of primer and 2 cans of the black. I sanded the bumper first with 80 or 100 grit to smooth it out. As I sprayed each coat I would wet sand the bumper after a day of sitting. If you looked at it you wouldn't know it's a rattle can job at all.

This was done on an OEM paintable bumper not a chrome one I converted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode