question about rear leaf springs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Tonka Truck

question about rear leaf springs

Yesterday I put smaller wheels and tires on my truck. I got to looking at the rear leaf springs. I THOUGHT it was just the rear leaf spring pack with a 5" lift block. Heres what I'm seeing. I have a 5" block, then my factory block, then a single leaf spring, then a leaf spring "pack" (3 leaf springs inside clamps), then what looks like a 1-2 inch block, then another single spring. What am I looking at here? Is the factory just the 3 springs inside the clamps??? Are the other 2 single springs and that little block in between the springs just for more lift??? It's on a 99 F-350. Thanks for the help.

99 F-350, 7.3 diesel, 6" lift, 37" tires, 18" wheels, yellow paint with chrome accessories and tonka emblems, line-x spray in bed liner, crocodile leather interior, billet inserts. Getting ready to all change!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 AM
<---- my shop

Re: question about rear leaf springs

pics would help explain what your lookin at.

but i believe that what you are lookin at is from the top

your helper spring(when haulin heavy loads in bed)
your actual spring pack
the bottom spring i cant remember the name of it now but it is there for the leaf springs to flex against when you load the truck down. Kinda distributes the weight better.

the little block is just a spacer that they put in between the leaf pack and the helper spring(overload spring)

it is all factory that way. Your lift comes from the 5 inch block that is added to the factory block.

Robert

2003 F-350 CCLB, 7.3, Auto

2000 F-450 Sold.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Custom Trailer Sales

Anything for lift would be under the leaf springs with stock leafs. I beleive what your looking at is the overload spring which is spaced up from the spring pack with a little "block"

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

the block and spring on top is the overload spring im sure of it.... as for the rest of it, there is a flat single short spring on the stock packs and then some grouped together... my guess is you have stock springs and the 5'' block with your factory block as well...

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Tonka Truck

Guys thanks so much for the responses. What all of you described is exactly what I have. Now my next question...... I'm getting ready to pull the 5" lift block out and put factory springs back up front and go back to stock height. I already have some F250 blocks that I'm going to replace my F350 blocks to help level it out. I know that it will still be slightly unlevel even after that. Is it possible, safe, etc.... to remove any of the factory rear leaf springs to help finish off the leveling? Any of those "extra" springs we were discussing earlier or is that just waayyyy off? Thanks again for the help.

99 F-350, 7.3 diesel, 6" lift, 37" tires, 18" wheels, yellow paint with chrome accessories and tonka emblems, line-x spray in bed liner, crocodile leather interior, billet inserts. Getting ready to all change!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

You could set the leafs on the axle without a block and see if you like it. Other than that, I'd leave the leaf spring pack alone.

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
PSN Local

The wheels look great on the truck thanks I will try to get a picture up soon by the way I like interior in your truck the crocidile seat look good it will look good when you get it finish

2001 Ford f250 Power Stroke 4x4
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 AM
PSN Local

If you're wanting to pull any springs from the pack then start with the center leaf first and see how it looks. I wouldn't suggest pulling the shortest, nor the longest spring in the pack is why I say start with the middle. I also wouldn't suggest pulling them if you tow heavy loads with your truck. The less springs in the pack the easier you're going to get wheel hop as well. Or you can always leave the pack alone and order a smaller block than the 250 block.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
<---- my shop

i wouldn't pull any of the springs out of the pack. If you need to go lower with the truck in the rear i would replace the 250 block with a smaller one. Just make sure it is tapered like the stock ones

Robert

2003 F-350 CCLB, 7.3, Auto

2000 F-450 Sold.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode