Tires for towing... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tires for towing...

I have a 2000 F350 2wd dually with manual trans I use to pull my race trailer. I have owned this truck for about 10 years now and have only put ~35,000 miles on it in that time.

The last set of tires I put on the truck was a set of BFG "Commercial TA's" 6 or 7 years ago. The tread still looks brand new but the side walls are cracking. I was able to get the BFG's through the "buddy discount" from a friend that worked at a tire store. Unfortunately, my friend no longer works in the tire business...

I don't like the idea of being changing a tire on the side of the highway on the way to or on the way home from a race... however, I am experiencing "sticker shock" while shopping around for tires. Another set of the BFG's would be $1,200+ "out the door".

Do any of you all have any suggestions for a decent tire that is good for towing?

I don't drive the truck in bad weather and our race season is from spring to fall so the likelihood of every experiencing snow/ice is very low.

I see some of the "off shore" tires such as Mastercraft, Towmax, etc... that look really good from a price point perspective. But I don't know anything about those tires and I want something that is safe...

I just don't like the idea of purchasing a set of $1,200 tires that are going to have perfect tread 6 years from now and cracked sidewalls.

Any advice, suggestions, etc... are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Tires for towing...

Are they 17Ē? This is how I use to roll... I would buy new tires and rims off new take offs - remove the tires from the steels and have them put on mine. All for around 600-800 depending on whom and how you strike a deal. So yeah, I donít buy new tires unless I had to. Could be an avenue for your to explore. When youíre poor and cheap. Well more cheap than anything, you find solutions to expensive problems.

I have 19.5 and I couldnít care less if they lasted 100k before I get new rubber. Regular Michelinís last 65-70 and thatís good enough for me. Really liked my 17Ē rims b4 b/c they are more forgiving. 19.5 are just too hard. You need to be riding on smooth pavement to enjoy them. GL buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:57 PM
PSN Local

Re: Tires for towing...

Michelin E-Rated ( 10 ply ) !! Awesome tires.

Dan

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 AM
PSN Local

I'm running Toyo all terrains on my 99 F350, 10 ply, most of my driving is highway, but since its 4wd, I wanted something mildly aggressive, Bridgestone and Michelins are too rich for my wallet, Toyo's weren't cheap, but cheaper than the aforementioned, Check out some Cooper tires, if I'm not mistaken they are still made in the US, and I know they have highway tread tires, I've bought them in the past.

Takeoffs are a good option , especially since a lot of truck buyers buy custom wheels right after they buy a truck, but most of the newer trucks are running 18in or larger tires now, your 2000 probably has 16in rims like mine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions...

I guess putting up the size would have helped... transfixer you are correct they are 16's... 235/85/16s...

I did not even think about takeoffs... that is something I will investigate further.

Dan, if I were using the truck more often I would definitely consider the Michelins. But I use the truck so little the tires will dry rot before I ever come close to wearing out the tread... that is the case with my BFG's right now... if you looked at just the treads you would think the tires are new!!!

Do any of you all know if the newer trucks share the same bolt pattern as a 2000?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 AM
PSN Local

I believe the newer trucks bolt pattern is different, I know the offset is different, 99-2003 or maybe 04 are 8 x 170mm, if I remember right, you can google Ford superduty wheel bolt patterns and find what is the same.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
I believe the newer trucks bolt pattern is different, I know the offset is different, 99-2003 or maybe 04 are 8 x 170mm, if I remember right, you can google Ford superduty wheel bolt patterns and find what is the same.

Thanks transfixer... All of the takeoffs I could find are out of my price range... A friend of mine who owns a trucking company is going to check with his distributor tomorrow to see what tires he can get... fingers crossed...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode