noise when turning?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

noise when turning??

When making turns i seem to be having a slight inconsistant squealing squeaking noise, that kinda sounds like the breaks, but it does not do it when i am breaking.It doesnt seem to make the proper howling noise that people describe when the unit bearings are going out. I have not had a chance to take the wheel off since this started, but i know that i have enough brake pads from when i had them off about a month ago. I will take them off sunday and have a look.

Any Ideas? What should i look/listen for?

Thanks

-Chris

99.5 cc lwb drw lariat, 6 speed. Intake, exhaust, 38r, tunes..
2001 psdxcab xlt 6speed 4x4. afeII pg7, mbrp 4", DP-Tf5,SBC 12cb 3600# DD, 18x9moto's on 35's ,.... some other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1982 vw syncro 5speed 4x4, suby 2.2L air lockers, 30"tsl's:
1968 barracuda formula S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: noise when turning??

Could be enough slack in the wheel bearing assy to let the rotor rock over and touch the pad when turning? Usually this will throw an ABS light.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

it sounds just like the brakes, or a bearing or something, a very metalic squealig noise. I was kinda feeling like somthing in the brakes was causing it, like a seperated pad or something. I just didnt know if this sound was a more obvious common occurance or something, I dont really know what the unit bearings start doing when there going bad, but from what i have read it doesnt sound like its the problem. I just dont wanna go replacing stuff thats not bad.

Thanks

-Chris

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

alright, i got the wheel off, and i don't see anything that could really be a causing this except the fact that the brake rotor appears to be warped some, becuase half of the rotor is scared worse than the other half. (you can't get a finger nail on them, just visible) besides that there is plenty of pads, and everything on there is tight.

So what could be causing this? Its a chirping squealing sound when taking corners, it doesnt matter what the speed.. I'm lost.

-Chris
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

well, im not positive its not the brakes, but i took the pads out ground them down some, Cleaned and lubed the caipers, and rotor. Put on some orange squeak stop stuff, And bolted everything back on. The squeak is still there. Its not really there on sharp turns. i.e. jerking the wheel, but the long slow turns that seems to make it squeal.

I jerked the front end around and even took it to a local shop and they looked at it, without taking the wheels off, just the suspension, and he didnt seem to think that there was any thing wrong with the bearings or the front suspension. I dont know....

-Chris
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

F-it i'm just going to order up some new units tomorrow, left and right, and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll just order new rotors and pads. I hate this ####,

opening up the "special" ford toolbox. My wallet, just stand back and throw money at it. Calling bob at powerstrokeshop

That was my lift and shoes money...

Well anyways.. Thanks for your help

-Chris
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:01 AM
2nd class citizen

Wink Re: noise when turning??

check you brake pad slide shims that are on the caliper cage ive seen them cock and only touch the rotor when turning the wheel also raise the front end up and check for free play in the hub bearing very common problem.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i took some "people" for some rides, they say its deff the brakes, i tried to order the hubs from pss but nobody would answer my calls or return them, so this weekend im going with new brakes, if that doesn't fix it, going to napa and getting new hub units.

-Chris

thanks for the help guys
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Alright, full new brakes on the front end, grease and lube on everything... The brakes make no noise what so ever... Stops smoooooth...

But it still makes the damn squeal/squeak noise when turning slight to the left at 30+ mph.. Its driving me nuts.

I even pulled out the hub units and took a look at them, there in good shape.

anything else???

-Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode