Swap 02 F350 Frame to 05-07 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Swap 02 F350 Frame to 05-07

Hello All!
I have a F350 2002 6speed 7.3L crew cab long bed 4x4. I'd like to replace the frame/suspension to a 05-07 frame. Also would like to go from the long bed to short bed in the process. Therefore, I'd like to keep the same engine, trans and cab.

The question is, how crazy of a job is this for less than a half ass mechanic to pull this off (so, 1/4 ass?)? I'd like to not debate whether to do it or not or even why, just if the decision was made to do it, what issues would I run into? Thought is to purchase a donor truck and go from there...

I haven't had any luck in searching the web on this as well. If there are some write-ups or other discussions, point me in that direction.

I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

2002 F350 Lariat Manual Tranny
Stage 1 injectors, RiffRaff Banjos, RiffRaff Plenum inserts, RiffRaff HPx, RiffRaff FRx, International bellowed up pipes, Garrett GTP38R, Ford ASI, Hydra 6 chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Swap 02 F350 Frame to 05-07

Take off the beds and cabs. Compare and contrast one what components to move over and what's left behind. Most important is the fuel system (lines). Everything else can be "worked and tweaked" .

It's hard and if your a 1/4 ass mechanic then don't do it bc these trucks are heavy and willand CAN crush you like a bug (requires lifting by bobcat or better, a car lift).

If you have all the time and less than ideal amount of money (like me) - I'd do it... welll about time.. yeah I don't have a lot of time. Plus watch out for the wife - them are some mean cougars if you don't get your chit together in a timely manner! Good luck and take pictures :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks DieselDC...yes, I would have the time and do not have to rush anything. Money, well that's what the "cougar" protects and not a lot of (do we really ever have enough???)...I figure it would be a good project to get my boys away from "technology" and the major sell to the wife. The bobcat/car lift...a cherry picker or hoist wouldn't work? Those would be more readily available.

Fuel system...good to note. I was thinking that the 4x4 system would be tricky as well...the current system is the old school manual hub with shifter.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

2002 F350 Lariat Manual Tranny
Stage 1 injectors, RiffRaff Banjos, RiffRaff Plenum inserts, RiffRaff HPx, RiffRaff FRx, International bellowed up pipes, Garrett GTP38R, Ford ASI, Hydra 6 chip

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

sub'd! you thinking to swap over the front clip too? that sounds easiest, since i think the bumper mounts/framerail horns are a bit different from 99-04 to 05-07... i could be wrong on that.
but what i really wanted to say was how wonderful it would be for those kiddos to get outside and get dirty working on a truck! i hope you get this going for that alone! :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Agree with ya Turd-250! Gota get those kids out of the house! I wouldn't be doing this immediately...looking at doing this next spring/summer if things align right.

I did put an 05-07 bumper on the 02 and it went up well. I left the header in the 02 and made the necessary cuts to fit in the lamps.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 PM
PSN Veteran

A car lift is best. I've done it with two trees and a chain but that chit gets old. Bobcat big enough and can lift high enough - that would work too. Though a bobcat is more versatile in all day in/day out work.

Agreed, never enough money lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode