URGENT WHEEL FITMENT ADVICE NEEDED!!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

URGENT WHEEL FITMENT ADVICE NEEDED!!!!

I'm buying new 17x9 wheels for my 03 this week and I have seen tons of threads and posts about fitment but have been getting mixed answers.My current wheel and tire combo is 17x8 helos wrapped in 37x12.50 parnelli jones dirt grips.That's all I know.They were on the truck when I bought it.THEY RUB!! I'm looking to get some black wheels but I'm staying with 17's so I can keep my new tires,just upgrading to 17x9's.I have to get the rubbing to stop!I know I need a 4.5 back spacing but what offset do I need?I want a nice lip on the new wheels because my current ones do not have one and I think they look silly.Next question:hub bore...125.5 is what I'm hearing but will any other size work,like 130 or more? Last question:I know our trucks are hub centric but hub centric 8x170,17x9's are hard to find,can I run a lug centric saftely? Thats all I can find in my size pretty much.I'm trying to order wheels this week but I also only want to order them once ya know,lol!
Heres a pic of my silly set up as of now....

heres a couple of wheels I picked out

03 f250 7.3 ccsb fx4
-6 inch superlift, 37 parnelli jones
-05 front end conversion(new pics to come)
-diy intake
-dp tuner
-zoodad
-john wood vb
-foil delete
-6.0 tranny cooler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
MINK

Re: URGENT WHEEL FITMENT ADVICE NEEDED!!!!

your gona want a backspaceing of anywhere form -15 to -25...the farther into the negatives the farther they will stick out, this also means they will not rub your leafs but may rub yur iner fenderwell

Josh Mink
CAMB MOTORSPORTS
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

you mean offset of -15 to -25 right? What about -12?Would that keep me from rubbing leafs and inner fenders or should I stay around -15 to -19 or so? I don't want any rubbing anywhere...Thanks you for the reply...I got no reply's to a thread just like this one on my other forum,lol! What about the hub bore or hub centric questions....any knowledge on that?

03 f250 7.3 ccsb fx4
-diy intake
-dp tuner
-zoodad
-john wood vb
-foil delete
-6.0 tranny cooler

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

the reason I ask about the -12 is because I was able to find the xd hoss(top pic) in a 17x9,4.5 bs,with a -12 offset and 125.5 hub bore for $162 at top gun customs.If the offest will is good they are getting ordered tonight!!!

03 f250 7.3 ccsb fx4
-diy intake
-dp tuner
-zoodad
-john wood vb
-foil delete
-6.0 tranny cooler

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Lost Cause

Backspace and offset are the same thing, just different ways of measuring.

There's a thread explaining each.

2016 F-350, FX4, CCLB, 6.7PSD, 7" OUO/ICON/FOX lift, 38x13.50-18 Toyo MT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Backspacing is measured from the inner lip of the wheel to the mounting surface. 4.5" BS is 4.5" BS regardless of the wheel width. A 17x9 with 4.5" BS & a 17x8 with 4.5" BS will act the exact same. The tire will flatten out more with the 17x9, but it will still scrub if the 17x8 does.

Offset is measured from the center of the wheel to the mounting surface. This is where you will see differences in wheels of different widths. A negative offset moves the mounting surface in which makes the wheels stick out further. Positive offset moves the mounting surface out which makes the width narrower.

As far as hub centric/lug centric. Most stock wheels are hub centric and most aftermarket are hub centric. If you have tapered lug nuts, then you currently have lug centric wheels. There is no issue with either that I know of. Actually, I like lug centric better since they are more universal since hub bores often differ between vehicles which could cause problems if using hub centric wheels.

I really wanted a wheel with 3.75" to 4" BS, but it is hard to find them, so I just got 4.5" BS and deal with the scrubbing which isn't too bad. 1/2" wheel spacers could be a possibility, but I just haven't worried about it.

2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

nice reply man,thanks!

03 f250 7.3 ccsb fx4
-diy intake
-dp tuner
-zoodad
-john wood vb
-foil delete
-6.0 tranny cooler

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Just ordered these.$563 shipped with black lugnuts and centercaps.Gonna get the machined parts painted to match the rest of the wheels before I mount the tires.I'm so glad I'm done searching for wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the advice!!!

03 f250 7.3 ccsb fx4
-diy intake
-dp tuner
-zoodad
-john wood vb
-foil delete
-6.0 tranny cooler

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
PSN Veteran

I've been thinking about backspacing for the past couple of days. I feel like there will be a little difference on a 8" wide wheel and a 10" wide wheel with the same backspacing. The wider wheel won't rub as much as a skinnier one since the tire is sticking off of the edges of the wheel less which would effectively push the tire out a bit more. I don't think it will be a huge difference, though.

2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode