Stack problem need help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Gotta Pay To Play

Unhappy Stack problem need help

OK I want to put stacks on my rig but with the height of my truck, the height that I want them and the height of my horse trailer when I tow I'm going to get fumes right in the trailer windows. I need to figure out how to put some kinda bypass system so when I'm towing the horse trailer I can run the exhaust out the back instead of the stacks. I've checked around town and the couple guys I've talked to says I'm going to have a hard time finding anything in a 4". Any advise on how to do this and where to go for the bypass part. I talked to one guys and he said years ago his dad did this but he didn't know anything about how it was done. Thanks in advance. Traci

2002 F350 - Lariat
7.3 -K & N Air Intake
ANSA 5" Silverline Stainless Steel Stacks
BTS Torque Converter and Valve Body
Edge Juice w/ Attitude
8" Fabtech lift 37" x 13.50 x 20 Toyo OC MT
ATS Ported Compressor Housing - Wicked Wheel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" This Ain't No Boys Toy" Traci

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
OBS junkie

Re: Stack problem need help

I think Joe has an electric dump for his exhaust. You could run your exhaust right out the side in front of your rear tire & skip going over the axle.
If you look at this picture you can see a hint of smoke coming out of his tail pipe. If this is the truck I'm thinking of he has a cut of for his stacks & still ran a regular exhaust with a muffler out the back to keep the locals happy.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

most cutouts arent 4 inches though. and the problem with a cutout is it doesnt stop the flow from the original pipe. it just opens up another way for the exhaust to escape. to do what she wants you really need to find something that will close off the exhaust to the stacks and open it to the other piping of choice. it will most likely require to valves.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
OBS junkie

Another option to keep the exhaust away from your horses would be to run them wayyyyy over the cab. Something like a set of 5 foot stacks would work just fine.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

that site is gay it wont let me look at anything

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
HP Junky

Send a PM to JD Wop, he's got a rear exit tailpipe with a set of stacks. Wide Open Performance built his set-up, maybe he could shed some light on the subject
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Gotta Pay To Play

Yes that's what I'm looking for. Killing the stacks completly when I'm towing my horse trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
most cutouts arent 4 inches though. and the problem with a cutout is it doesnt stop the flow from the original pipe. it just opens up another way for the exhaust to escape. to do what she wants you really need to find something that will close off the exhaust to the stacks and open it to the other piping of choice. it will most likely require to valves.

2002 F350 - Lariat
7.3 -K & N Air Intake
Edge Juice w/ Attitude

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Hi Traci

2006 Triple Turbo Dodge

7.3 injectors are like greeters at wal mart. They are there and they do there job, but you can't ask them to do anything quickly or they will get confused and give up.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Gotta Pay To Play

lol I have only 7 1/2" inch clearance from my cab roof and my carport. I'd say something would have to give and I bet it wouldn't be the carport lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
Another option to keep the exhaust away from your horses would be to run them wayyyyy over the cab. Something like a set of 5 foot stacks would work just fine.

2002 F350 - Lariat
7.3 -K & N Air Intake
Edge Juice w/ Attitude

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Gotta Pay To Play

Sadly I'm very set on the idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
How set are you on having stacks? Since a good aftermarket exhaust that dumps in the conventional location flows plenty well enough to keep EGT's down, the hassle of installing stacks (fouling up the usefulness of your bed in the process), figuring out some way to install a cutout, then remembering to flip back and forth isn't worth the arguable "cool" factor to having stacks.

2002 F350 - Lariat
7.3 -K & N Air Intake
Edge Juice w/ Attitude

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode