Baking headlights to seperate lens - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT
Baking headlights to seperate lens

My buddy did something like that on his contour to get the lens off to paint the plastic inside. Do you guys think this is possible to do to my 05 headlights? They have been getting fog inside of them, and If im going to take them apart, I want to paint them inside black like the harley lights? Does anyone know if it well work?

Thanks.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Corona Killa

Re: Baking headlights to seperate lens

Yes I believe that will work but the Harley light aren't just painted inside if you paint the reflectors good luck with seeing at night.

2007 DODGE 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 5.9 LITER CUMMINS
2002 FORD F-250 CREW CAB 4X4 POWERSTROKE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

it works, you just have to be very patient. put the oven on the lowest setting you have and keep the lights in there for 10 minutes at a time. painting them wont make much of a difference with light output either. ive done several crown vics without any problems

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Corona Killa

painting what part the lens or the reflective part of it and I know painting the lens effects the light output and I would bet painting the reflective part would also effect the light output.

2007 DODGE 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 5.9 LITER CUMMINS
2002 FORD F-250 CREW CAB 4X4 POWERSTROKE
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

I was going to paint the chrome surround, not the lens or the reflector material that the bulb beams off of. Im hoping that after i get done, i can fix these headlight from fogging up(thats the main reason why i want to take them apart).

leak what kind of sealant should i use to glue it back together? My buddy used two different kinds and one leaked and he doesnt remember which one.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

you can get headlight sealent from the auto store, i know for sure advanced auto, never checkd anywhere else.

as far as light output, ive never had problems with black, and if your only painting the surround you wont notice a difference.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 AM
PSN Local

Wow baking the headlights sounds scary to me. I wonder who came up with that. You learn something new everyday. Good luck. Post some pics when your done.

2008 King Ranch Never done!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 AM
The Stig

Send a message via AIM to BFD99 Send a message via MSN to BFD99

i would drill a tiny hole somewhere where you can't see it to let it breathe and keep the headlight from fogging up. I've heard of others doing that.

2006 Ram 5.9L 2wd Gogodiesel, Garmon's Diesel
2010 Dually 6.4L, Gogodiesel, KEM Tuned
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Danny View Post
Wow baking the headlights sounds scary to me. I wonder who came up with that. You learn something new everyday. Good luck. Post some pics when your done.
Mustang forums have had this going on for yrs. Stangs have had composites since 87 iirc! For some reason stangs seem to have jacked up headlights they get foggy/yellowed for no good reason

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt

Well It's been a while since I've seen a SD headlight assembly but they should be sealed with a 1 way vent IRRC. The vent may have failed or you could have a crack between the lens and the housing or a bad o-ring on your bulb. I'd start with the o-ring and let the lens air out on a very dry day or blow some dry compressed air (preferably some out of a can of dry duster). then check to see if you can see any cracks along the lens. The lenses are sonicaly welded to the housing @ the factory and that typically is a good bond unless they are dropped, bumped or other wise flexed is some way or another.

Got Boost?

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4