2001 F350 - Reverse Light Wire For Backupcamera - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

2001 F350 - Reverse Light Wire For Backupcamera

Where the heck is this thing? Need to tap into it for my new touch screen. Its the only thing left on my install I can't figure out.

I tried the black and pink wire coming from the steering colum, I think the steering column one is a ground and not hot..it didn't work. Bunch of googling and I found some people said the black and pink wire behind the passenger kick panel works. No go for me.

Found a couple videos on 2002's and theirs was on a plug in the back of the fuse box. My fuse box looks WAY diffrent from those, I tried to unbolt it to pull it out to test random terminals but..yea that ain't easy its wedged in there good..not easy to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Camera itself is spliced into the tail light reverse light wire for power. I Really don't want to run another wire all the way to the cab just so my Touch screen can know im in reverse.

2001 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed.
2010 6.2L Raptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:19 PM
alleged moderator

Re: 2001 F350 - Reverse Light Wire For Backupcamera

i had the same problem. everyone and their brother SWEARS the black/pink is the reverse wire. except on the 02 every black pink i found is a ground.
so i simply ran a wire from the back up to the cab and hooked the radio to it. this serves a double purpose, i also have the reverse lights hooked up to a toggle switch in the cab, and tied in with the 4 bulb led lights under both bumper corners and with the 4 bulb led light in the emergency bar up top for rear work lights.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
i had the same problem. everyone and their brother SWEARS the black/pink is the reverse wire. except on the 02 every black pink i found is a ground.
so i simply ran a wire from the back up to the cab and hooked the radio to it. this serves a double purpose, i also have the reverse lights hooked up to a toggle switch in the cab, and tied in with the 4 bulb led lights under both bumper corners and with the 4 bulb led light in the emergency bar up top for rear work lights.
I have a 2001... not 2002. Everything I found was for 2002's

I found it... its under the hood. here. by the fuse box. I ran it through the firewall hole i made for the video feed.

I found a picture on another forum of someone with an 2001 like mine. I pulled that box and took the bottom off and tested it multiple times with my test light. It was indeed the reverse power light. So I T Tapped it and ran it into my truck.

Backup cam Worked for about 10 seconds, then... I don't know what happend. now my truck is all screwed up. Radio wont turn on. Dash turns on but shows no battery voltage. Fuel gauge jumps around. Wait to start light comes on I turn key and it just clickclickclick at me. Its like it thinks my batteries died.

My batteries are fine they show 11.6 V each. They had been at 12.5 but i have been screwing around with the lights and whatnot on today without starting it.

all my lights and stuff work fine.

Maybe I blew a fuse somewhere somehow?

2010 6.2L Raptor

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I guess i probably ran my batteries down too low while screwing around all day?

Going to charge them up individually ( I disconnected them both ). threw a charger on them.. will take awhile.

2010 6.2L Raptor
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Can't seem to edit, but yes...I ran the batteries down too low probably from screwing with sled deck lights and stereo install for a couple days and not running the truck... derp.

Charged them up a bit and it tried to start(rather than clicking at me ). Leaving them on the tender(s) tonight.

Anyway.. that reverse wire in the picture I posted does work for 2001 F350. I could not for the life of me find one inside the truck cab.

2002's look to have a vastly different wiring than my truck, and it looks pretty easy to find the reverse light wire on them(2002).

Oh well got it worked out on my 2001 I guess.

2010 6.2L Raptor
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:50 PM
alleged moderator

i have found with mine that if i mess with wiring to just put the battery charger on because by the time i am done with whatever i am doing, the batteries are going to be dead.

i swear it is my trucks way of telling me "there is nothing wrong with me, stop trying to fix me!!!"

followed by "if you f*** with me, i am going to F*** with you!!

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Haha, its all good started up this morning and drove around to charge them up.

Still can't get the backup camera to work. It works if I plug it in the Video In Port, and put the parking brake on while in reverse. Just to prove that it works. But I have to manually switch to that mode. ( and put the park brake on but i can just ground that wire ). Would rather it come on automatically when I go in reverse.

But it doesn't work when plugged into the Backup Camera port.. Verified that its getting reverse light power in reverse..so not sure what its deal is. Going to contact the manufacturer of my deck ( its some cheap one from amazon )

Got the deck installed everything else is working.

2010 6.2L Raptor
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Nevermind I got it working, the prong on the spade thing for the T-Tap went onto the outside of the plastic instead of into the T-Tap. ( You can see it in the first picture above oops )

All working now.

Had to dremel the top and bottom of the dash opening. Not perfect and its not bolted down i just shoved it in there ..its tight though doesn't move.

2010 6.2L Raptor
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 06:26 PM
alleged moderator

i had to modify the dash for the pioneer i put in mine also.
and it took me a while to get it setup to work properly. the directions are not the best. camera power has to be set to battery, and there was one other thing in settings i had to change to get mine to work.

tom

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM
PSN Newb

What color is the reverse wire...I'm trying to hookup a backup camera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode