VIN Key Cutting? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Tugboatin'

Location: I live in the north country, work on tug boats and enjoy spending time with my wife and son.
Garage
VIN Key Cutting?

I need some help getting new keys on my new to me 02. It's a lariat with keyless entry and was always opened and closed with the FOB. The keys are so worn that they won't open the door or tailgate cylinder and all the copies we've made on a dupilacator won't work either. My local ford dealership said he can't go back to an 02 to cut by the VIN because it's too old. Will that be the standard respond everywhere or is it just because they are a smaller town dealership. I don't like the idea of not having a key to open the truck and rekeying it all is really too pricy.

2002 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4: AFE IRF PG7, ATS Turbo Housing, Banks BigHead, ScanGaugeII

2000 Jetta TDI: Not Stock

2008 100' Thoma-Sea 4200HP Tugboat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: VIN Key Cutting?

sub'd, i'm in the same boat, only got one key that unlocks the drivers side door only sometimes lol! have to use the fob.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 PM
alleged moderator

i think you are going to find that answer anywhere you go. remember, that 02 is now 14 years old. the oldest vehicle i had any luck getting keys for from the vin was 5 years old.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:56 AM
Administrator

OK try wolf securities http://stores.ebay.com/wolfsecurityhardware

he can use a picture of your key to figure out what to cut

he got mine perfect it cant hurt to ask but maybe yours is to worn ?
otherwise he can get you a full set of new and he sells OEM cylinders

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Tugboatin'

Location: I live in the north country, work on tug boats and enjoy spending time with my wife and son.
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post

Thanks for the link. I emailed him. I need to get him a picture of the key and he'll see what he thinks he can do.

2002 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4: AFE IRF PG7, ATS Turbo Housing, Banks BigHead, ScanGaugeII

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

yeah thanks scott!

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Tugboatin'

Garage

Quote:

Did your keys not open the doors because they were worn when he made you a new key? I ask because I went back and forth with him yesterday and didn't really get anywhere. He wants to make me new lock cylinders I only want a key cut to original demensions. He told me that the key being worn is not causing my lock issues which is untrue because I had 1 key made that would open the doors but was dragging on the pins. The kid cleaned up that key with another pass then it didn't work so I know what I'm talking about with my truck. I'm not against buying cylinders but I feel like it's going backwards to key a lock to a worn key and I don't want to pull my doors apart to change them. If he could reverse cut a key from a cylinder I'll pull and send him the tailgate cylinder but I don't like the idea of taking everything apart. He also wanted to charge me $18 to duplicate the key to make new locks. I would just get a key cut and mail it to him if the needs a copy of the key as is to make a cylinder.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 08:46 AM
alleged moderator

when the key gets old and wears down, it will no longer work the lock because the pins are not pushed into their proper position. 2 thousands of an inch is enough wear to make the key not work.
the problem with cutting a worn key is you do not know how worn it is to compensate for the wear.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Administrator

My key was ok my ignition cylinder was worn and wouldnt turn backwards to acc. So he took my key picture
And made me a cylinder and two new keys to match saving me from replacing door keys and tailgate

The reason i figured he could use a worn key pic
To cut a new key is he knows the Ford profile
And would cut accordingly

If your lock has a lot of use i would just let him win the argument. Lol

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Tugboatin'

Garage

Quote:
My key was ok my ignition cylinder was worn and wouldnt turn backwards to acc. So he took my key picture
And made me a cylinder and two new keys to match saving me from replacing door keys and tailgate

The reason i figured he could use a worn key pic
To cut a new key is he knows the Ford profile
And would cut accordingly

If your lock has a lot of use i would just let him win the argument. Lol

I hope he gives me a phone number and we can just figure it out from there. How hard was it to change the ignition lock? Like I said before if he wants to cut me a key by matching it to the tailgate cylinder I'll gladly pull it and send it to him. I'd entertain changing the ignition cylinder if I didn't have to go into my doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode