Wiper blades - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

Wiper blades

OEM and all the 'books' call for 20" wiper blades on these trucks. Looking and measuring tho, there's no reason a 22" wouldn't fit. Anyone go with larger-than-OEM and if so, issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:25 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Wiper blades

in the past i've used oversized wipers on windshields with a slight enough curve over to the far passenger side that it would loose contact in wet freezing weather & let ice buildup/creeping towards the center of the glass... not too big a deal. second, on my ranger, installing an oversized blade requires bending the radio antenna over a bit, still not a big deal, just sayin lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

I'm looking at the resting position of the blade as well as it's arc of travel, and don't see anything that would come close to interfering with an extra 1" on each end of the blades. I'll just make sure to save the receipt in case something does

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

hell i may grab some 22" next time i change them!

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

I wonder if the 'perma-grit' that's on the un-wiped part of the windshield would have a negative effect on the whole works....?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

only if ice starts to gather on the grit while on route maybe... if it did, it might 'lift' the blade enough to stop it from really cleaning off the edge of the normal wiping area? no harm in testing it tho! perfect time of year lol

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

I'm rapidly seeing irrefutable reasoning why the middle of winter is not the wisest time to test these things. Naturally I will anyway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:16 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

i'm thinking about washing my truck tomorrow before the PooperBowl, i'm now inclined to investigate just how much different the surface is between the wiped & un-wiped area... 235k highway miles worth of pitting on the stock windshield & you can tell!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:46 PM
PSN Local

I've used 22s for a while with the thought, bigger is better. No issues, no noticeable positives either.

'02 f-250 cc srw 4x4, auto
'08 f-350 CC dwr 4x4 auto
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Luddite in Charge

There we'll have it. I was mostly worried with 2" more of a span for the ribs to keep tight, was there any issue with missed spots against the glass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode