Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........ - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Hi guys, I am putting my 1999 F350 7.3L back together, I ordered the 6.0L intercooler and I want to run a lighter fan, I saw everyone with the old 7.3L running the 6.0L fan, but will it fit the 1999 an up?

Secondly, the 7.3L has a 9-Blade fan 10lbs, how many blades does the 6.0L fan have?

Lastly, anyone ever tried running any other lighter fans like those off an F150 or V10 F350? I see them using 11-Blade fans and I don't know if they have a cfm rating than that of the 9-Blade.

I tried going to my local fords parts store and these guys looked at me like I was talking greek, they couldn't even understand that I just wanted to cool my engine more efficiently even if I will lose a little of power. I don't plan on towing much.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Ok, so I finally saw a site listing an 11-blade fan for a 1999 F-250, will that flow more air than the 9-Blade.

Sorry for the many questions but I start reassembling the truck tomorrow and I don't have all the parts.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Aluminum blades? They say they are lighter and don't break unlike the plastic ones and have a better heat resistance.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini_nkr View Post
Ok, so I finally saw a site listing an 11-blade fan for a 1999 F-250, will that flow more air than the 9-Blade.

Sorry for the many questions but I start reassembling the truck tomorrow and I don't have all the parts.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Aluminum blades? They say they are lighter and don't break unlike the plastic ones and have a better heat resistance.
The aftermarket aluminum/steel ones have the same CFM problems as the fiberglass ones.

Is the listing for a 6.0 fan?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:02 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
The aftermarket aluminum/steel ones have the same CFM problems as the fiberglass ones.

Is the listing for a 6.0 fan?
what is the "CFM problem"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs96 View Post
what is the "CFM problem"
The aftermarket fans do not pull as much air (cubic feet per minute) across the radiator as the plain old stock 7.3 fan. This makes it difficult for those who want to eliminate the stocker to find a suitable replacement, either fiberglass, aluminum, steel or electric.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

How much "lighter" are we talking here? I mean, if you are only looking at a pound difference, then what's the issue or the point?

The 6.0 fan is light by itself (i.e. No clutch), but as far as I know, the only clutches it'll bolt up to are the stock 6.0 one, and the 97 style clutch.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well, I eventually ended up going with an aluminum blade, it's a HUGE weight saving, I am yet to drive the truck outside my neighborhood, but I pray that it works great.

So far, I can let it idle for hours, rev it up and the temp stays low............

1999 F350 Superduty 7.3L TD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

20160728_143458.jpg

1999 F350 Superduty 7.3L TD
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Well, I eventually ended up going with an aluminum blade, it's a HUGE weight saving, I am yet to drive the truck outside my neighborhood, but I pray that it works great.

So far, I can let it idle for hours, rev it up and the temp stays low............
HELP PLEASE!!! I am stuck in Kentucky, I have a very heavy load and my truck is overheating after a few miles, the fan clutch has a lot of resistance when I spin it, I don't know if it is too much or if the fan is NOT pulling enough air.

I used a 6-Blade aluminum fan that saved me TONS of weight but under heavy load, the temperature goes up.

Could it be the fan clutch is bad or the aluminum fan is NOT sufficient?

I have seen videos showing the fan engaged, the sound is LOUD, I have NEVER heard that sound before, also, the aluminum fan has a smaller radius than the factory fan.

What do you guys think?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
HELP PLEASE!!! I am stuck in Kentucky, I have a very heavy load and my truck is overheating after a few miles, the fan clutch has a lot of resistance when I spin it, I don't know if it is too much or if the fan is NOT pulling enough air.

I used a 6-Blade aluminum fan that saved me TONS of weight but under heavy load, the temperature goes up.

Could it be the fan clutch is bad or the aluminum fan is NOT sufficient?

I have seen videos showing the fan engaged, the sound is LOUD, I have NEVER heard that sound before, also, the aluminum fan has a smaller radius than the factory fan.

What do you guys think?
Man i just finished a water pump on a 7.3l and that fan is tiny theres no way it could move enough air to cool a 7.3l that fan look like it was made for a small gas motor.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode