Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........ - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
gemini_nkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Hi guys, I am putting my 1999 F350 7.3L back together, I ordered the 6.0L intercooler and I want to run a lighter fan, I saw everyone with the old 7.3L running the 6.0L fan, but will it fit the 1999 an up?

Secondly, the 7.3L has a 9-Blade fan 10lbs, how many blades does the 6.0L fan have?

Lastly, anyone ever tried running any other lighter fans like those off an F150 or V10 F350? I see them using 11-Blade fans and I don't know if they have a cfm rating than that of the 9-Blade.

I tried going to my local fords parts store and these guys looked at me like I was talking greek, they couldn't even understand that I just wanted to cool my engine more efficiently even if I will lose a little of power. I don't plan on towing much.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
gemini_nkr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
gemini_nkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Ok, so I finally saw a site listing an 11-blade fan for a 1999 F-250, will that flow more air than the 9-Blade.

Sorry for the many questions but I start reassembling the truck tomorrow and I don't have all the parts.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Aluminum blades? They say they are lighter and don't break unlike the plastic ones and have a better heat resistance.
gemini_nkr is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Terminator Nation
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Petaluma, Ca
Posts: 5,121
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini_nkr View Post
Ok, so I finally saw a site listing an 11-blade fan for a 1999 F-250, will that flow more air than the 9-Blade.

Sorry for the many questions but I start reassembling the truck tomorrow and I don't have all the parts.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Aluminum blades? They say they are lighter and don't break unlike the plastic ones and have a better heat resistance.
The aftermarket aluminum/steel ones have the same CFM problems as the fiberglass ones.

Is the listing for a 6.0 fan?
old man dave is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:02 PM
PSN Local
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 153
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
The aftermarket aluminum/steel ones have the same CFM problems as the fiberglass ones.

Is the listing for a 6.0 fan?
what is the "CFM problem"
djs96 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Terminator Nation
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Petaluma, Ca
Posts: 5,121
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs96 View Post
what is the "CFM problem"
The aftermarket fans do not pull as much air (cubic feet per minute) across the radiator as the plain old stock 7.3 fan. This makes it difficult for those who want to eliminate the stocker to find a suitable replacement, either fiberglass, aluminum, steel or electric.
old man dave is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Big dumb redneck
 
6speedSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi
Posts: 4,200
Garage
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

How much "lighter" are we talking here? I mean, if you are only looking at a pound difference, then what's the issue or the point?

The 6.0 fan is light by itself (i.e. No clutch), but as far as I know, the only clutches it'll bolt up to are the stock 6.0 one, and the 97 style clutch.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
6speedSD is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
gemini_nkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Well, I eventually ended up going with an aluminum blade, it's a HUGE weight saving, I am yet to drive the truck outside my neighborhood, but I pray that it works great.

So far, I can let it idle for hours, rev it up and the temp stays low............

1999 F350 Superduty 7.3L TD
gemini_nkr is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
gemini_nkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

20160728_143458.jpg

1999 F350 Superduty 7.3L TD
gemini_nkr is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
gemini_nkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini_nkr View Post
Well, I eventually ended up going with an aluminum blade, it's a HUGE weight saving, I am yet to drive the truck outside my neighborhood, but I pray that it works great.

So far, I can let it idle for hours, rev it up and the temp stays low............
HELP PLEASE!!! I am stuck in Kentucky, I have a very heavy load and my truck is overheating after a few miles, the fan clutch has a lot of resistance when I spin it, I don't know if it is too much or if the fan is NOT pulling enough air.

I used a 6-Blade aluminum fan that saved me TONS of weight but under heavy load, the temperature goes up.

Could it be the fan clutch is bad or the aluminum fan is NOT sufficient?

I have seen videos showing the fan engaged, the sound is LOUD, I have NEVER heard that sound before, also, the aluminum fan has a smaller radius than the factory fan.

What do you guys think?
gemini_nkr is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Native Texan
 
masakimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: North Central Mo
Posts: 8,885
Garage
Re: Help! 1999 7.3L Fan upgrade........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini_nkr View Post
HELP PLEASE!!! I am stuck in Kentucky, I have a very heavy load and my truck is overheating after a few miles, the fan clutch has a lot of resistance when I spin it, I don't know if it is too much or if the fan is NOT pulling enough air.

I used a 6-Blade aluminum fan that saved me TONS of weight but under heavy load, the temperature goes up.

Could it be the fan clutch is bad or the aluminum fan is NOT sufficient?

I have seen videos showing the fan engaged, the sound is LOUD, I have NEVER heard that sound before, also, the aluminum fan has a smaller radius than the factory fan.

What do you guys think?
Man i just finished a water pump on a 7.3l and that fan is tiny theres no way it could move enough air to cool a 7.3l that fan look like it was made for a small gas motor.

Sent from my Super awesome outdated Samsung that doesn't burst into flames using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
masakimm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome