American Force Dually Wheels :( - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

American Force Dually Wheels :(

Well here is my experience with American Force Dually wheels. I am in the middle of the customization of my low mileage 2000 F550. I have done several other Super Duties and have always used Alcoa wheels with the semi adapters. I have always wanted American Force Independence wheels but could never justify the high cost of them. Well searching CL I found a set of black powder coated AF Independence wheels with almost new Toyo M/T's complete with adapters and center caps at a fantastic asking price. The exact package I have been wanting for a long time. The only problem was the adapters he had were for a Chevy. Well no biggie, Right? I figured I'll sell the Chevy adapters and buy a set of Ford adapters. So I checked the AF web site and they have the adapters I need listed for $895. So I went to see the wheels and they were gorgeous so I made the guy an offer and wa la I finally have the wheels and tires I have been wanting for years. So I get home and list the Chevy adapters on CL and sell them the same day. Wow this is going great. So now I call AF to order my Ford adapters and what does AF tell me? They won't sell their adapters out right. You have to buy a set of wheels to get their adapters. What kind of sh&* is this. Well so I figure there are a lot of companies selling semi adapters no problem AF just won't get by business. So now I start calling other adapter companies just to find out AF's center bore is larger than the standard bore on all other 10 on 285 wheels such as Alcoa. Most of the companies don't or won't make adapters for AF wheels. The two that will want over $1500 to make them with a 3 to 6 week lead time. OMG!!!! This has turned into a nightmare. I have already sold the wheels that were on my truck so now I have a yard truck on jack stands for at least 3 weeks. Sorry for the very long rant but I'm just so pissed at American Force. Who would have ever thought they would do this. Make their wheels a different size than any other wheel in existence and then refuse to sell you their adapters. Such BS in IMHFO!!! Has any body else had this problem on here?? If so how did you solve the problem?? Oh I forgot to mention, the guy who bought the Chevy adapters from me has now called a said they won't fit his Alcoa wheels! So I guess I will have to give him his money back and try to sell them to a guy who has AF wheels or maybe used them to anchor my boat. What a PITFA this has turned out to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Re: American Force Dually Wheels :(

saving a nickle and spending a dime happens to me a lot

but it is chitty of AF to have that ridiculous policy

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Administrator

if the AF has a bigger bore ( not sure how much bigger it could be ? what is it ?? )

can you get a standard adapter and make/have made an OD circumference ring to make up the void ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Administrator

?? American Force Dually 8 to 10 Lug Adapters

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah I thought about have a ring made. Do you think that would be safe? Would need some way to make sure the ring doesn't work it's way out. Standard bore for 10 x 285 is right around 8 3/4", AF's bore is 9 1/2" so about 3/4" larger. Yeah I was on that site, I called them and they don't have the ones I need in stock anymore and AF will no longer sell just adapters to them either. Thanks for the idea about a ring, that may be the way I will need to go.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Administrator

i think the ring is doable it should center the wheel and once the lugs are tight it may move unless you have a good friction fit / adhesive/ or mechanical fastener like a set of pins

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I would maybe see if one of our vendors can get a set i't crap that the rims now become useless without buyin a whole set to get adapters almost criminal IMO

and to not make it known that these are proprietary 10 lug is a load of crap also IMO

I am in the market and I just took these down a bunch of notches from my consider list

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
I would maybe see if one of our vendors can get a set i't crap that the rims now become useless without buyin a whole set to get adapters almost criminal IMO

and to not make it known that these are proprietary 10 lug is a load of crap also IMO

I am in the market and I just took these down a bunch of notches from my consider list
+2 I certainly would never had bought them if I knew about their exclusive bore diameter. It is positively BS. I have seen pictures of F650's and Kodiac's with AF wheels and they have the standard bore 10 x 285 bolt patterns so they must use a ring like you have suggested. I think that's what I am going to do. Buy a set of regular adapters for Ford and have a local machine shop make the spacer rings. AF can go to HE double hockey sticks IMHO.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Any machine shop could make that ring. Freeze the adapter and make the ring so when it fits on and the adapter heats up they seize together.

I ran into similar issues with XD wheels for my 95 ford. I asked about center caps for 4x4 and the long axle hub on the back of my truck. They said no we don't make anything you have to run without center caps i machined them myself and made a spacer and posted it on their Facebook.

1999 F350 Fummins (lil blue)
1996 dodge megaton (Towing Chit)
1995 F350 Fummins (Under Construction)
1995 F250 lightning clone
1968 Fastback GT (Chillin In the Cave)
1987 Samurai (wishing It could tow)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Administrator

I didn't even think of the regular 10 lug trucks that run A F rims

i also wonder if people are just bolting them on like they were lug centric and not concerning themselves with the bore slop / hub centric ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode