D-Ring Shackles in place of tow hooks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
D-Ring Shackles in place of tow hooks

I have a question regarding installing D-ring shackles on the front of my 03 F250 in place of the factory tow hooks. When I purchased my truck, it didn't have the factory tow hooks due to previously having a plow installed. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to install shackles in the same location as the factory hooks, and if so, how did you do it? I've tried to search the forums, but I can't seem to find anything on these with a stock bumper, just aftermarket bumpers.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 AM
AK1
PSN Local

Garage
Re: D-Ring Shackles in place of tow hooks

The stock hooks just bolt through the frame/spring hanger, seems you could build a mount that bolted up in the same place but have never seen an aftermarket one. The stock bumper is really too thin to mount one to, guess you could gusset the back and attach to the frame like the front receiver hitches...

'00 Excursion Limited w/170k (rebuilt), 4X, V/B codes, 35" Toyo, 4" intake/exhaust, WW, TW, Isspro, FF Stage 1, T500- mix of '00/'05/'08/'12/'14 parts
SOLD: '00 F350 CC, '95 F350 CC, 2X '83 F250 6.9's.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:42 PM
PSN Veteran

True D rings would bounce and make a lot of noise in my opinion.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

AK1, I am considering making my own mounts, I have access to a mill and have the capability, I was just wondering if anyone has done it so as to have some ideas to start with. I did find that bigas####ches.com offers a shackle kit that clamps onto the original tow hooks, but the smallest shackle they offer is a 17 ton and that's way too big for what I want.

Lens, I've looked at the truck and it seems that they would actually only hit the lower valance which is plastic, therefore the noise would be suppressed. Couple that with rubber isolators on the pin, and they would be virtually quiet.

I took some measurements today and will probably end up fabricating my own to use the stock mounting holes.

Thanks for your replies
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 PM
PSN Newb

Once you get that done you should post some pictures. I would love to see what it looks like.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:36 AM
PSN Newb

Did you ever find those d-ring mounts? Iím looking for some myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode