recharge A/C ?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

recharge A/C ??

A/C blowing hot air...can i just use one of the kits from
pepboys/advanced/autozone ?? anyone used it? any info or diy ?

ps3 online: kennyfcknpowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: recharge A/C ??

A/C is a closed loop system. Shouldn't need recharging. Check for leaks first or you'll be P***ing your $$ away. Then you could do the A/C mod for about 30 bucks that keeps the hot coolant from running thru your heater coil when you're running the A/C. My temps dropped 10* after I did it. Just trying to help.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 AM
PSN Local

How long has the A/C been blowing warm? If its been awhile, you will need to find the leak (dye charge and leak detector equipment) and fix it. Also if the system is opened, the reciever/dryer MUST be changed or the system will fail again. I see it all the time.

My truck had the evaporator replaced 2 years ago. This year the compressor would cycle frequently (low charge). I took a gamble and charged the system with 4 cans of Interdynamics high mileage leak sealer freon (bought at WalMart). Pretty pricy at $10/can (1 lb), however, system is holding charge and blowing 40 deg air.

It must be pretty good stuff because all the Wal Marts near me were out of stock for the month of July. They had plenty of regular R134A, but none of the High mileage.

'00 F350 DRW CC 4x4 auto. Hutch mods, airdog, DP 80E flash, MRBP duals, a bunch of gauges,
to do list: diff covers, turbo, intakes, intercooler, chip

Last edited by horses2; 08-27-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: additional info

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Genius, when I drink

First and foremost you need to have someone put a set of a gauges on it and see what it is reading. It may be something as simple as your high or low pressure switch gone bad or the wiring to them gone bad.

There is no sense in adding refrigerant if your compressor clutch is not engaging.

After checking the pressures, in static your system pressure should be equal on the low and high side and be pretty close to the ambient temperature.

If it is lower than the ambient (10psi or so is OK) or has no pressure then I would check all of the hose and components to see if you can see any oil. It should have a green tint to it. If you find some oil replace the part(s) that it is coming from. Have a shop that specializes in A/C repair vacuum the system and replace the charge. It may be necessary to add oil to the system as well.

'03 F250 CC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

put that on youtube
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses2 View Post
How long has the A/C been blowing warm? If its been awhile, you will need to find the leak (dye charge and leak detector equipment) and fix it. Also if the system is opened, the reciever/dryer MUST be changed or the system will fail again. I see it all the time.

My truck had the evaporator replaced 2 years ago. This year the compressor would cycle frequently (low charge). I took a gamble and charged the system with 4 cans of Interdynamics high mileage leak sealer freon (bought at WalMart). Pretty pricy at $10/can (1 lb), however, system is holding charge and blowing 40 deg air.

It must be pretty good stuff because all the Wal Marts near me were out of stock for the month of July. They had plenty of regular R134A, but none of the High mileage.
HAHAAA Yeah I wont buy it at work I go to wally mart. I do have a leak but putting a condensor in mine is a real bisatch so I bought some stuff to try so far so good.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 AM
All done now

Fixed many of them with this stuff. It ain't the right way to do it, but if it keeps you cool on the stool for the rest of the summer, just do it.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Dont forget to check the gap on the a/c clutch. Wierd how these just stop working when the gap gets to big.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Also check to see if clutch is even there. Lost one off one of my other SD somwere on I-64, this year. Amazing how no one knows when it happened.

01' F250 PSD CC 4x4, GTP38R, Hi-Flow outlet, DI Bellowed up-pipes, BTS Hpop, DI Regulated return, ITP Annilator, AM 3pod, AFE PG7 Stage II, Silverline 4in T-Back, 6.0 Trans cooler, Dp F5, BTS Trans, True-Trac 3.73, Powerslot Cryo, Rotella ELC, Nitto Terra 285/75/16E on Alcoa wheels
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

awesome guys thanks alot....gonna try the walmart stuff..
how do i check for leak or or check to see is clutch or compressor is working?

ps3 online: kennyfcknpowers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Genius, when I drink

If it is leaking you should see some oil with a green tint, this depends on how large the leak is. If it's very small you may see nothing at all, but a leak detector would probably pick it up.

The compressor clutch will make a loud click when engaged, you may want someone inside the truck while you are listening.

The only real way to know if the compressor is actually working is with a gauge set.

'03 F250 CC

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode