Cooling system help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

Cooling system help

hey

so i was peeking around under the hood the other day after work, and noticed i have cruddy looking junk in my plastic coolant tank... and a green coolant... that doesn't look like a healthy green.

researched up on the cooling system flush... good and dandy and all... but 2 questions..

Any type of Chemical cleaner to get junk out of the coolant passages?

What do you do with 8+ gallons of used coolant mix? not a single place i called would take it. a few even wanted to know where i could get rid of it so they can.

thanks

-Rob

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Moved in

Re: Cooling system help

Flush the green and put in gold (maintenance free). Install coolant filter to get rid of all of the crud. Dieselsite sells them.
As far as disposal, call around to all of the auto parts stores. If they won't take it ask a local repair shop where they dispose of theirs. Some municipalities offer drop off sites as well.

2011 F250 CC 4x4 Sterling Gray Metallic

2010 Cannondale Quick 4 (pedal powered commuter)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

ooh yes, i forgot about the filters

naw not even that gold stuff... CAT ELC, 500K-1M mile life span rating, and working at a dealer.. i can get a discount.

how hard is installing them?... well i ought to go look because i bet ill find it.

-Rob

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Moved in

Easy installation. The kit will have everything you need. When you mentioned green coolant I thought you still had the OEM stuff.

2011 F250 CC 4x4 Sterling Gray Metallic

2010 Cannondale Quick 4 (pedal powered commuter)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
Easy installation. The kit will have everything you need. When you mentioned green coolant I thought you still had the OEM stuff.
well i hate to say it...

but it does look like "that kinda green" i bought the truck used... so im wanting to go over everything since now i have a little extra $.. cooling, trans, diff's, transfer case, the preventive maintenance stuff even if it's not needed ide rather do it. i need the truck to last another 10 years.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Peon

As long as you don't take the cap off the overflow bottle (ask me how I know...), it shouldn't take more than an hour to install the coolant filter kit. My first filter clogged up in <500 miles so I changed it (bought 4 spare filters when I ordered the kit) then, again at 1500 miles, and now, 45K miles later, I change it every 10K miles more b/c I'm bored and have plenty of replacement filters than out of need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode