Dynatrac diff cover installed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Peon

Dynatrac diff cover installed

I finally got my Dynatrac front differential cover installed today and IMO it's pretty spiffy. Normally a diff cover isnt' anything you'd think much about but since I was going to take my old cover off for this service interval I figured I might as well put something on that's improved over stock. Overall it was a pretty simple job but I did have to grind a tiny bit out of the edge to clear the inner u-bolt on the driver's side spring pack and that held me up a bit since I never bought a new Dremel tool after smoking my old one (literally, it was screaming hot and smoke was coming out of it) and had to wait for Mrs. JV to come home from work and drive me to Home Depot for a new one. Once I got the edge ground out the cover went right on and I refilled the diff with some Redline 75W90.

Like all the Dynatrac parts I've seen (I have their Free-Spin hub conversion kit) it seems to be very high quality and should hold up a good long time so I'm pleased--thanks to BigStroker (Paul @ Complete Performance) for dealing with me to order it. On a side note--I used 3 quarts plus a tiny little bit of fluid (spilling a couple tablespoons in the process) so that should be the correct amount of fluid, right? The owner's manual says 2.7 liters and 3 quarts plus a smidge is right around that amount, if I've done my arithmetic correctly.

Here's a shot of how much I had to grind off the edge of the cover:

Here's a crappy cellphone pic of the cover installed--my truck only has a leveling kit for the front suspension and I didn't need to re-clock the front axle so the tie rod runs right across the center of the cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Evil Genius

Re: Dynatrac diff cover installed

Damn you had to take a good bit off of the side. I had to do some on my 01, but not to that extent. It is a very beefy cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Peon

The shop I had install my leveling kit may have shifted that u-bolt plate just a tick over and that's why I had to take so "much" out of the cover. I'm not really worried since, like you said, the cover is very very beefy and there seems to be PLENTY of material (especially compared to the stock cover) to spare.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Evil Genius

Yeah, doesn't effect the cover at all.
I had to machine the face of mine down to the clear the Dynatrac tie rod

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
PSN Veteran

Looks almost like the SOLID AXLE cover I just ordered. $81 including shipping. How much was the Dynatrac?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Looks good man
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:23 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Looks like a nice piece and welcome back jvencius.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Michigan Ice Dog

Looks great!

"Alot of the worlds problems can be solved with violence"

" So taking her home I was going to have her sit in the middle but I relised that she wouldn't fit. "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode