cheaper than air ride? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Custom Trailer Sales

cheaper than air ride?

Well here goes another stupid idea!
Well I have a heavier rear suspension because I need it for the hauling I do, but on my way to pick up the load the ride sucks! unless the road is really smooth it's a bad ride. I've looked at air ride suspension for my truck and I really really don't like the cost, I'd rather deal with the ride than fork over that money!
I was lookin around yesterday and seen a picture of the rear suspension on a smaller international semi tracter that didn't have air ride.

So I was wondering if I could do this? since the truck rides nice with the suspension with a load. If I reduced the main stack of leaf springs down to 2-3 leaves and put the other 2-3 leaves under the overload spring would it work like this settup above?

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Custom Trailer Sales

Re: cheaper than air ride?

Can anyone tell me anything? good idea, should I give it a try. Or do you guys think it won't work out.
Just looking for ideas for improving my ride down the road without spending alot of money!

F550 rear suspension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

That sounds like it could work, Give it a try.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerHauler View Post
Well here goes another stupid idea!
Well I have a heavier rear suspension because I need it for the hauling I do, but on my way to pick up the load the ride sucks! unless the road is really smooth it's a bad ride. I've looked at air ride suspension for my truck and I really really don't like the cost, I'd rather deal with the ride than fork over that money!
I was lookin around yesterday and seen a picture of the rear suspension on a smaller international semi tracter that didn't have air ride.

So I was wondering if I could do this? since the truck rides nice with the suspension with a load. If I reduced the main stack of leaf springs down to 2-3 leaves and put the other 2-3 leaves under the overload spring would it work like this settup above?

All is not exactly what it seems. If you look at what I highlighted in red, that is actually what I would refer to as a axle locating link. Im almost 100% that only goes from the front hangar, to the axle. All its purpose in life, is to keep the axle from moving forward and rearward. The blue, which obviously are the springs, are actually floating, and are not actually bolted to the frame. They slide on the frame brackets instead, which is why there is no shackle, as the springs can extend and retract as necesary.

However, I think your idea is on the right track, you would need a little more arch in the main pack, to make the distance between the overload springs, and the brackets they hit greater, so when you hit a bump, etc you dont hit the new oversized overload leaf setup, you just ride on your now smaller main leaf setup. So overall, your rearend height would have to be raised some, to achieve the same loaded height, and maintain a smoother ride while unloaded. I can draw pictures if it helps.

DRW and tow fast parts.......
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 AM
69W900A

You are correct in that the red highlighted leaf is acting as the fore/aft brace rod and is keeping the axle from moving forward and rearward and this also controls the thrust angle.

Moving leafs from the main pack to the over-loads in a SD isn't all that great of an idea as that will also affect the suspensions ability to keep the axle under control during loaded and cycling modes of operation.

You think your truck rides bad go for a ride unloaded with no trailer on that little Corn Binder and see what you think. It's a truck, they ride like trucks. Even air ride trucks ride bad. Our heavy haul trucks will launch you outta the seat unloaded on the roads around here. Loaded air ride is a bit nicer, but it also has a lot more stuff to go wrong. No one likes changing a level valve on the side of the freeway in the snow.

TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Custom Trailer Sales

Alrighty that makes sense, I have 5 leaves plus the overload spring from a pack off of a F550. I'm almost sure those leaves are thicker than the 350 duallys? But so far I haven't used my overload spring much, so I'm thinking maybe just cut the main pack down to 4 and use the overload spring more...

F550 rear suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode