boost gauge question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

boost gauge question

I have an 01 7.3 that is for the most part stock. according to my gauge i get about 20 psi of boost. i plan to upgrade my turbo housing and compressor wheel in the future as well as a few other mods. how will this affect my boost? i am wanting a set of new gauges and trying to decide if the 0-30 psi gauge will be enough or if i should get the 0-40. the gauge i have now is 0-60 and it just seems like overkill.

Thanks.

2001 F-250 PSD 4x4 Lariat CC SB Auto
Power Hungry Performance
Edge CTS Insight
ATS 4" Straight Pipe
ATS Ported Compressor Housing
AFE Stage II Intake
DI Stainless Up-Pipes
BTS Valve Body
6.0 Billet Converter
6.0 32 Row Trans Cooler
Foil Delete
AIH Delete
CCV Mod
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 AM
AK1
PSN Local

Garage
Re: boost gauge question

My '00 will hit 19-20# boost on the stock setting and will bounce off 30# on my hot setting (TW chip.) My understanding is that it's not good for the stock turbo to see over 25# very often/very long, so I've got a 0-30# gauge.

Not sure how the upgrades you're planning will effect the boost #'s but someone else will...

'00 Excursion Limited w/170k (rebuilt), 4X, V/B codes, 35" Toyo, 4" intake/exhaust, WW, TW, Isspro, FF Stage 1, T500- mix of '00/'05/'08/'12/'14 parts
SOLD: '00 F350 CC, '95 F350 CC, 2X '83 F250 6.9's.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

Get the 0-40, easy to read and accomodates future mods. Also go with a new turbo, don't dump money into housings and wheels it won't really help your boost numbers. Go with a whole new turbo, something like a 38r

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 PM
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge186 View Post
I have an 01 7.3 that is for the most part stock. according to my gauge i get about 20 psi of boost. i plan to upgrade my turbo housing and compressor wheel in the future as well as a few other mods. how will this affect my boost? i am wanting a set of new gauges and trying to decide if the 0-30 psi gauge will be enough or if i should get the 0-40. the gauge i have now is 0-60 and it just seems like overkill.

Thanks.
I can hit #30 psi with my stock turbo w/ 1.0 turbine housing, and ported compressor housing on my race setting. A complete new turbo would be best, but I couldn't drop $1800 @ the time. My stocker is holding up just fine w/ the upgrades. get the #40 gauge. Leaves room for improvement.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode