Good price on hub seal driver tool... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Peon

Last edited by jvencius; 04-27-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Good price on hub seal driver tool...

You make this tool for less then $10.00 from parts at Home Depot or Lowes. Mine is sitting on my shelve waiting for when I need it.

Michael

2001 F350 XLT White Crew Cab 7.3L Long Bed/Racor 4500/Fumoto/AFE Stage II/AC control valve/AutoMeter Lunar gauges/TTM/6.0L Tranny cooler & IC/203 Thermostat/(SS) HX-Hose/Van Turbo w/ATS housing & Stock Wheel/Gutted Pedistal/Line X/ ZooDad Air/4" DPPI SS dual exhaust/Aeroturbine 4040/2"mini spring packs/F5 DP Tuner chip with live custom tunes/BTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 PM
PSN Local

humdinger what did you use to make it. I have not seen the tool to copy it.

2000 F350 CC LB 4X4 SRW ,Lariat , Blue&Beige ,Auto , 3.73 Gears ,285/75/16 BFG's
Isspro pyro, trans, boost
AIS intake
walker BTM

71 Bronco, 351W, 3sd, 4.10 gears 33/12.5/15 BFG's

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric View Post
humdinger what did you use to make it. I have not seen the tool to copy it.
X2
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:26 AM
PSN Newb

This is what I was told to make and it make sense to me, If I have to grinde down a little for fit wise then that's what I'll do when I do mine.

https://powerstrokenation.com/photopo...to=722&cat=500

I didn't come up with this, I email someone and this is what I got in my email:

The seals can be installed by hand with the proper tool. A press isn't necessary. A 12" long 1-1/4" pipe nipple with a cap screwed on one end and a flange on the other will easily install the seal that goes just ouboard of the u-joint. That's the toughest seal to do. You'll need to whack on the end of the tool with a medium hammer to drive the seal into place.

IMO, R&R'ing ball joint in the knuckles is the hardest part. You need to have the right adapters for the ball joint press. I have an OTC ball joint press and needed to make a couple of extra rings to get the job done. A 2" long piece of 2" schedule 40 pipe, another 1" long piece, and a 3" long section of 2" ID driveline tubing will do the trick.

Hope this helps guys?

Hey Greg what happened to your truck? It says in the AVATAR that your truck is broke? I met you up at Bandimere this past summer with Pocket.

Michael

2001 F350 XLT White Crew Cab 7.3L Long Bed/Racor 4500/Fumoto/AFE Stage II/AC control valve/AutoMeter Lunar gauges/TTM/6.0L Tranny cooler & IC/203 Thermostat/(SS) HX-Hose/Van Turbo w/ATS housing & Stock Wheel/Gutted Pedistal/Line X/ ZooDad Air/4" DPPI SS dual exhaust/Aeroturbine 4040/2"mini spring packs/F5 DP Tuner chip with live custom tunes/BTS

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 05:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Thanks Michael, John and I might try that when we do ball joints on either of our trucks.

Unless he already bought the other one
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:26 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
Thanks Michael, John and I might try that when we do ball joints on either of our trucks.

Unless he already bought the other one
Glad to help, I hate to see someone spend to much for something.

Michael

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:40 PM
PSN Veteran

I hear you. I'm one to beat it in with a block of wood and a mallet, but there is a lot to be said for having the proper tools
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
I hear you. I'm one to beat it in with a block of wood and a mallet, but there is a lot to be said for having the proper tools
From what I've read (no personal experience, though), that seal is REALLY easy to jack up if you don't use a proper driver, even if that driver is homemade out of plumbing parts from Lowe's. At ~$30 or so apiece (Ford-specific item you can't buy from Autozone), screwing up those seals would be an expensive whoopsie...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 AM
PSN Newb

I agree with you both! But as long as you take your time this can be the right tool and save you from having to buy another seal.

Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode