Pyro Gauge Gone Bad? I hope - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
The Mule

Pyro Gauge Gone Bad? I hope

Hey all. Last night when I was driving on the freeway my pyro gauge started climbing and would not go back down. When it got to 1100 I tuned down to #2 and it went up even faster. I pulled off the freeway and in a parking lot. Left the engine running and popped the hoos. Gauge waid something like 1800+ at that time. I messed with the lead from the thermocouple, got vack in the truck, shut it down. A few moments later I started it up and all was normal again. The turbo spools great, actually better then prior as I replaced a cracked CAC boot yesterday.
All was goo until later last night when I was driving home it did it again EGTs go up ans just keep going. Actually on the way home I could keep them around 1000 deg.
Do you all think it could be my thermocouple went bad or the gauge? Truck seems fine during these events, I can put my hand on the turbo and CAC tubes, they are not hot. I cannot imagine my pipes are getting that hot. I will be under there this morning to figure it out.
I have an Autometer pyro.
Thanks.
Mike

1999.5 F250 PSD 4X4
1/8th mile 8.436 @80.21 mph, 1.848 60ft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: Pyro Gauge Gone Bad? I hope

I would say a loose ground or a bad probe...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
The Mule

Thanks Joe, I thought you were Andrew at first. Nice avitar.

Going to pull the probe and clean it off, check the wiring again in case it is hitting something.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

1999.5 F250 PSD 4X4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM
PSN Local

Auto meter pyro went bad and would read cold one day and hot the next at cruise speed going 70 mph.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
The Mule

I pulled the probe and cleaned off the soot. Then traced the wire back to the gauge and made sure it was not touching anything. Seems fine. I guess if it goes funny again I will need to replace either the probe or the entire unit. I am migrating to DiPricol anyway.

Thanks.

1999.5 F250 PSD 4X4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSUPRD View Post
I pulled the probe and cleaned off the soot. Then traced the wire back to the gauge and made sure it was not touching anything. Seems fine. I guess if it goes funny again I will need to replace either the probe or the entire unit. I am migrating to DiPricol anyway.

Thanks.
autometer pyros have had this problem. a lot of times there is a ground issue, but often with those gauges it is not the case. i am about to be on my third autometer pyro - if they didn't replace them for free, i would've switched by now.

2002 F250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode