Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

difference between F-250 and F-350???

13K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  txpsdcrwchf 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a newer 7.3L Superduty and would prefer an F-350 but I would like to know what is the difference (suspension and powertrain) between the two?
Thanks

#2 ·
Badges on the fender and tailgateare different, Tags are cheaper for F-250's. no difference other than that. All drive train is the same, springs etc. Some 350 came without over loads on the rear, some 250s came with over loads ,they are all the same for the most part.

#3 ·
powertrain is the same just the suspension and gvw rating as far as I know. But I don't know everything. One drawback here in Az is anything 1 ton & over has to have a comercial plate. It's a little more $$$$ than a 250 of same value and you can't get a 2 yr tag. So emmisions and reg every year.

#7 ·
I haven't seen too many 250's with overload leafs I think most 350's have them, not positive about that though.

#8 ·
My 350 with tow package from factory did not have overloads, my 250 2wd came factory with over loads, I am not positive but I think it has something to do with the camper package.

#29 ·
Correct. Camper package has overloads. No difference at all except 4" blocks with the 350 and 2" blocks with the 250. That comes to roughly $800 for a 2" rear lift.

#9 ·
Sounds like the Ford of the 60's no consistency. My srw 350 came with overloads. Most srw came with 3.73's and dually with 4.10's. Kinda like that box of chocolates huh?

#11 ·
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2000/specs.html

Go to the above link, you can change years by just typing a different year in the address line. It goes through everything from springs, trannys, and anything they are built with. The only "standard" (whose version of standard I don't know) is the overload spring. The differences really start with the chassis cabs. The website is pretty cool though.

#12 ·
I have a 250 and I added a leaf and put air bags on it to raise the back end after a leveling kit in the front and pull a 12K bumper pull camper. I would bet my truck is a F350 if not more now. Like was said before, I think the diff. is in the springs and not the rear end components such as the axle.

#14 ·
"Tools", that is a good one, LOL

#15 ·
some f250's came with taller blocks though as well.Mine measures right about 3 5/8 tall in the back which is what f350s run I believe.

#21 ·
Same here. Tall blocks and overload springs. I suppose an early 99 F350 SRW MIGHT have had a D60 in front rather than the D50 but IDK? Doesn't
really matter to me.

#16 ·
my 250 has overloads, also i believe the front axle was some times different (dana 50 vs. Dana 50) but it wasn't real consistent

#17 ·
I was under the impression that there were some extra leaves in the back and they used a Dana 60 instead of the 50?

#19 ·
the 250's have the 10.25 or the 10.50 axle and the duallys have a dana 80

#20 ·
So, long story short? If its SRW there is no difference, just personal preference?

#22 ·
From 99 to 02 (I think) the F250's had D50's in the front. After that they all had D60's. Other than that it is just the spring combination and rear block height. Also the DRW F350's have a Dana 80 rear axle vs a 10.5 rear axle in the SRW.

Other than the axles and springs the trucks are identical besides the badges on the sides and the GVWR they have on the sticker inside the door. I hope this helps.

#23 ·
My 02 F250 has a D60 on the front and the overload springs on the back.

#24 ·
hahaha the proverbial "box of chocolates" my "EARLY" 99 F250 has a D60 in the front (according to the axle tag anyways) and sterling 10.25 in the back. It also has overload springs and 3.73 gears. with addition of Airbags and a level kit i am confident i could match an F-350 for towing capacity.

Are the brakes different from the 250-350?? I was under the impression that they had larger rotors.. I know i got a rotor from autozone that was larger than what was on my 250 and when i took it back they said it was off a 1 ton and misplaced... (the fact that they made the correlation between 3/4 and 1 ton was astounding in the least)

#26 ·
From what I have read they changed to a d60 in the F250s and SRW 350s some time in 2002. There are D50s and D60 in 2002 trucks, just depends on when they ran out of D50s.

#28 ·
I love the 9900# GVWR sticker on my F350 but I hate the tall lift block on the rear. Makes it a pain to load anything but especially motorcycles and the ball height on a standard W/D hitch is too high so you need to buy the special drop shank.

#31 ·
:eek:fftopic:

I noticed when i replaced my factory Trailer hitch with a Class IV hitch that it set about an inch and a half lower i was able to ditch the drop shank with my W/D hitch when i replaced my trailer hitch... I also have a 30ft BP that weighs in around 10,000 loaded, so I had an excuse to replace it... that and the stock factory hitch on my truck started doing some nasty things when i loaded up my toyhauler the aft four(theres only six) bolts broke loose on an 800 mile trip. the hitch bounced and twisted and then tweaked my frame a little bit so i replaced it with a Curt class IV hitch. whats nice about it is its one piece its not an adjustable one size fits all cheap hitch.

The biggest difference and the one that should really determine what you choose to buy be it a 250 or 350 is the GVRW. If you plan to pull a trailer or haul with the truck on a regular basis then you will want the higher GVWR cuz it will keep you from getting an overweight ticket if you ever get stopped. If it is more for a daily driver and time to time haulin then the 250 would be the better choice. And remember that there are different GVWR for the 350's too. Mine is 9900 but i know the duallies are over 10k.

I know around here that it is not uncommon for a cop to either bring in portable scales or have you follow him to a weight station if he suspects that you are over your capacity. Those tickets are not cheap!!!!!! Dont ask me how i know, just notice that i now own a F-450
Dont forget the difference between GCWR and GVWR. when you tow a trailer your capacity increases so long as you dont go over your GAWR/GVWR. However even with a trailer you are not allowed to exceed your GVWR.. which unless your pulling a trailer in the 15-20k range you should be okay on the GVWR that is Assuming your loaded correctly and tongue/pin weight is in the 10% range. Oh and lets not forget your Drivers License Restrictions... :doh: stupid laws.

Best thing to do when you get a new trailer is load it up and take it to a CAT/FLyingj or similar scale where they can give you an Axle by Axle weight and a combined weight this will allow you to configure your load correctly to adjust for axle weights and tongue weights. It also gives you peace of mind when youre towing something that looks heavy so that when you do get pulled over and questioned you can rest assured when/if they drag out portable scales... doesnt hurt to be knowledgeable.:blah::blah::blah:

#30 ·
The biggest difference and the one that should really determine what you choose to buy be it a 250 or 350 is the GVRW. If you plan to pull a trailer or haul with the truck on a regular basis then you will want the higher GVWR cuz it will keep you from getting an overweight ticket if you ever get stopped. If it is more for a daily driver and time to time haulin then the 250 would be the better choice. And remember that there are different GVWR for the 350's too. Mine is 9900 but i know the duallies are over 10k.

I know around here that it is not uncommon for a cop to either bring in portable scales or have you follow him to a weight station if he suspects that you are over your capacity. Those tickets are not cheap!!!!!! Dont ask me how i know, just notice that i now own a F-450

#34 ·
SRW F-350 with air bags and overloads could carry as much as a DRW,, if you trust the TWO tires vs Four tires to hold the load... Think about it, that is the weakest link in weight capacity.
I see people haulling LARGE 5ers with SRW trucks. Sure, they can do it. But you better keep an eye on your tires for sure. Also the stability of the DRW truck with a load is MUCH nicer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.