clearcoat!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

clearcoat!!!

ok so if this is in the wrong place just move it but... i was washing my truck today with the pressure washer at work and it started to peel my clearcoat... it wasnt from the pressure washer it was from a rock chip that i didnt see... what im wondering is if there something i can do to keep it from spreading over the rest of the fender.. this sucks bad enough that its made me depressed... i love my truck

early 99, xcab, 8"lift,37" toyo open country m/ts, afe stage II,BDP tuning, 5" black chrome aussie cuts, blacked out bumper and grill, 8 isspro performax guages, stealth dual pumps, a few fuel leaks......

mods to come:
NO SACRIFICE..... NO VICTORY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Back to Civilian Life!!

Re: clearcoat!!!

That sucks. I wouldnt be supprised if that happens to my truck with a pressure washer seeing as it has so many scratches and chips in the paint and also sit has had so much body repauir done the primier/paint/clearcoat is nothing like factory specd. Its so thin. I would say keep a really good coat of wax on it and dont washer it with your pressure washer anymore.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 AM
69W900A

If it has peeled down to the base color you are kinda screwed. The best thing you can try is use some wax and grease removed and THOROUGHLY clean the pannel. Using some wet/dry paper (I prefer the 3M Imperail stuff) wet sand the area and feather in the area around the chip. Then scuff the rest of the pannel and put a couple new coats of clear on.

If you need to you can fog some base color ontop of the clear after you sand it, then put the top coats of new clear on. Make sure you let the clear flash between coats for about 10 minuets, depending on temp.

TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

i dont have the money or time or skill for all that.. what i want is to stop it from spreading any further than it is.... can i wet sand it and then put some sort of clear or something to keep the edges from coming back up??

early 99, xcab, 8"lift,37" toyo open country m/ts, afe stage II,BDP tuning, 5" black chrome aussie cuts, blacked out bumper and grill, 8 isspro performax guages, stealth dual pumps, a few fuel leaks......

mods to come:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 AM
PSN Veteran

JK

I will ask my body shop friend for you. He will probably know how to fix it.

I'm going to say wetsand it very, very lightly, blending it in with the clearcoat around it, then spray it with cc again is the closest you're going to get.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thats basically exactly what i want to do.. just to stop it from spreading... eventually within the next year or so i want to repaint the entire truck... it needs it bad! hating to see what that will cost me

mods to come:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

DIY
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 AM
69W900A

I think that's what I said

TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand and Chrome curb Feelers.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

your telling me to do the entire panel... i just want to do the spot... greg painting my entire truck i have no issue with... its where.... when... and i cant do body work... and i dont know anyone with skill to help me make sure it comes out right

mods to come:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 AM
69W900A

You don't have to do the entire panel, but you do have to feather the repair into a large area or it will be PAINFULLY obvious where you made the repair. It takes the same amount of time and effort to make the repair properly as it does to just goop more clear onto the bad spot.

There isn't any bodywork that needs to be done here unless you have a dent where the clear start peeling off? So sand the bad spot and feather the edges of the clear where it flaked off. Then scuff enough of the panel so that the new clear and be sprayed and worked into the existing clear. After the last coat of new clear goes on let it set and cure for several hours/overnight depending on the temp. Then wet sand the entire repaired area with around 5000 grit with plenty of water.

Then you need to buff the clear back to a shinney clear state. Use a foam bonnet and start with some medium cut, fine cut, swirl removed and then wax it. All of that stuff can be had at your local NAPA store. I'd go to the autobody supply house and buy good stuff tho. Takes about 2-3 hours depending on the temperature and prep time. The biggest thing is do ALL the prep work no short cuts. Absolutely imperative to get all the wax/silicone/grease off the panel. Not really any big deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode