What are my coil over front axle options for my early '99? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

What are my coil over front axle options for my early '99?

The following is my ultimate plan:

1) Wear out my expensive 37" tires.
2) Have my 20" Weld wheels painted flat black and some new 35" tires mounted.
3) swap my 4.30 gears w/ someone that has some 3.73s
4) pull my 4.5" blocks out of the rear springs and drop the truck down to what amounts to stock ride height or slightly higher than stock
5) Score a coil over Dana 60 front axle that turns and rides better and sell what is left of my lift.

So here is my question for the experts: Is the coil over Dana 60 a bolt on deal?

Also, I understand that the 2008 F450s have a wide kingpin inset front axle that allows them to turn on a dime. If possible, that would be the axle I would want. Does anyone know how to specifically recognize this axle over others or where to find one.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Who is Obama?

Send a message via AIM to razorscs
Re: What are my coil over front axle options for my early '99?

I want your gears!!!! I'll give you my 3.73 in a half a second. Just do a few burnouts and call the tires dead

SOLD 2002 F350

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

NEW 2004 F250 CCSB 4" Lift on 35" Road Venture AT KL78, Matt's tunes, Turbo Back Exhaust, River City 62mm Non-Vgt Turbo.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

I'm pretty serious about this plan so we need to stay in touch as long as your local to TX.

I'll give you the 4.30 gears, as long as you come to Austin so we can spend the day swapping them out.

I HAVE to collect the other parts first however, especially the axle.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 PM
PSN Veteran

So let me get this straight, you want to swap in a newer coilover suspension and front axle into your truck right? I'm gonna keep watching this, I would LOVE to do this swap.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Who is Obama?

Send a message via AIM to razorscs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I'm pretty serious about this plan so we need to stay in touch as long as your local to TX.

I'll give you the 4.30 gears, as long as you come to Austin so we can spend the day swapping them out.

I HAVE to collect the other parts first however, especially the axle.
Unfortuanetly, I'm not local to TX right now, Im over in California, but I am going to be going to TX A&M for school next fall and could possibly be down there with the truck as soon as early June to see family (they are outside dallas but the drive isn't bad), but I'm sure by then you will have swapped them out already. If not though, I am very intereseted in a trade. If you wanted, we could just ship them to each other, but that would = down time on both sides. How much longer are your tires gunna last?

-Scott

SOLD 2002 F350

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

NEW 2004 F250 CCSB 4" Lift on 35" Road Venture AT KL78, Matt's tunes, Turbo Back Exhaust, River City 62mm Non-Vgt Turbo.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

A & M is only like 90 miles from here. I use to break my freakin' collarbone at TWS roadracing my motorcycles like 3 x a year in that god forsaken town.

I suspect it will take me months to gather up the parts to do this swap cause I want the 2008+ F450 axle and that will be rare. And my tires have lots of tread on them as well.

But I'm very serious about doing the swap.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Evil Genius

05+ 450/550s have the "Super 60" with the increased width that gives you the awesome turning ability. They are just all over larger, larger width, larger knuckles, 10lug, etc...

Our 06 F-450 turns unbelievably tight.

And yes, you can swap in the 05-07 suspension fairly easily. Quite a few people have done this. You just need all the stock suspension and steering, unless you plan on a 4-link or something in which case you won't need all the stock stuff.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
05+ 450/550s have the "Super 60" with the increased width that gives you the awesome turning ability. They are just all over larger, larger width, larger knuckles, 10lug, etc...

Our 06 F-450 turns unbelievably tight.

And yes, you can swap in the 05-07 suspension fairly easily. Quite a few people have done this. You just need all the stock suspension and steering, unless you plan on a 4-link or something in which case you won't need all the stock stuff.
DC, that was really helpful but I have some more questiosn for ya.

You mentioned that the Super 60s come w/ a 10 lug. Is the 10 lug just an easily removable adaptor like the older versions? I want to reuse my existing 8 lug wheels.

Also, how much wider is this axle? Will it hang out way past my rear axle or what?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Evil Genius

I will have to check on the spacer/adapter.....I'll look at our 06 in the morning.

It's wider than the 05+ standard axle......which is wider than your current front axle.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Thanks DC.

PS. Tasty Avatar pic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode