train horns - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
6.0 money pit

train horns

hey guys i have a set of horns on my truck but just dont feel like they are loud enough, what are some of the brands out there? ive got siege engineering konk mk 2's right now but want them to be louder....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Village Idiot

Re: train horns

Go for the real train horns. The Leslie RS3L is plenty loud and somewhat affordable as train horns go. Everybody has been jumping on the K5LA and that's driven the price of them up. The K3 isn't a bad horn either.

You also may want to check what your pressure is and upsize your air line/solenoid as well. Airflow is just as key as pressure.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts

X2 on the airflow and pressure. I put a cheapo set of air horns on my mother in laws car. The one with the soda can air compressor. They sucked and I thought something was wrong with them. So I hooked them up to our shop air. I can tell you at 140-150 psi those cheapo horns are pretty freakin loud. Made a tech about 75 feet away in a car with the radio on almost crap himself and lock up the brakes in the parking lot.

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
rrr
PSN Local

My friend has a set of K3's, they are louder then K-5s, which I have but the k5's sound much more like a train and the sound travels farther, I've been heard MILES away with k5s.

I used to have leslies 3 chime and they are SUPER loud but they sound bad. I traded up for k5' LA.

email me and I can get you some for a decent price.

Oh and make sure you got the right size air line, if its a 1/2 port, it needs to be 1/2 all the way, not 1/4-1/2, that won't work. You not only need air psi, but VOLUME.

Oh, and one time with the leslies, I made a group of girls jump so bad, 2 fell to the ground.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
PSN Veteran

I just added another set of horns to my kit.... that helped quite a bit..
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM
PSN Veteran

K3s are actually louder than the K5s.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Village Idiot

3 chimes are usually louder than 5 but the sound quality is soooo much better on the K5. Less horns to rob airflow volume means more volume. Most people skimp on the supply line and solenoid. You can always go ultra baller and get the Leslie Supertyphon 5 bell horn!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Ive been talking to a guy who works on the ferrys and trying to score one of those horns. Im hoping to get a set.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
PSN Newb

Send a message via AIM to JJKpowerstroke Send a message via Yahoo to JJKpowerstroke

Quote:
Ive been talking to a guy who works on the ferrys and trying to score one of those horns
Good luck on getting that. Ferry's usually have brass horns Made by Kalenburg, Leslie. They will indeed will consume a big volume of air. The K3La, American tune. K3L, K3H Candian tune. L meaning low mainfold H meanig High manifold. Yes K3La is louder then the K5La. The chrome truckers 3 chime that is sold all over on E-bay, or other vendors on here. Blow the same chords as the 3 chime Nathan/Airchime K3La.But not as throaty. Yes we all love the mighty K5La as do I own a few. As Matt stated the Leslie supertyphon 3 and 5 chimes are quite nice too.

Quote:
I used to have leslies 3 chime and they are SUPER loud but they sound bad.
Probably had bad or dirty diaphrams or seats are bad. can be rebuilt and cleaned.

Quote:
hey guys i have a set of horns on my truck but just dont feel like they are loud enough, what are some of the brands out there? ive got siege engineering konk mk 2's right now but want them to be louder....
I put a set of them on my buddies truck and had to send them back 3 times to get them fixed. 2 bad solenoids and one had bad horn diaprhams.

If you over blowsome horns they will ruin the diaphram and will sound like #### or squeel or just push air right on thru.

Quote:
email me and I can get you some for a decent price.
Are they new? fresh hot off of a train? .

Quote:
Most people skimp on the supply line and solenoid.
Yes they do. Real train horns work best with 1/2" air line but will blow on 3/8" anythng lower will starve it.

Anyways if you intend to go with the real train horn route you will atleast need five gallons of air to get a good blast remember its quanity of air not using very high air pressure to blow the horn thinking it will be much more louder. (Diesel air horns are rated up to 140psi, though work nearly identically on 125psi.)

I have been collecting and restoring horns for a long time if anybody needs help let me know.

John

2004 F-250 CC. 4x4 Lariat. MBRP Exhaust, Edge Juice Platinum, Loud obnoxious real train horns K5La,Buell 4 chimes, Two slimline 5 gallon tanks, 2 Viair 450c. Also set up for use of air tools.

98.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Sleep well my brothers

I have the Shocker S4 from Hornblasters.com on mine and my wife's truck and there pretty loud. Here they are http://www.hornblasters.com/products...php?item=AH-S4

Early 99 CC DRW AFE, 4" MBRP,Autometer,6.0 trans cooler, ITP, DP Tuner and cupholder upgrade
Former U.S.A. Res. MP & proud of it!

2005 Dodge 4x4 5.9 With some stuff done to it.

"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racist…you'll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode