Bed Rusting Again!!! - Page 4 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM
STILL LEARNING

Re: Bed Rusting Again!!!

You cannot see the foam from anywhere UNTIL you remove the inner arch

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 AM
PSN Veteran

I have a little rust that has pushed apart the two pieces of metal in the fender well. I see the spot welds and in a couple of small spots some rust developed and pushed the two peices apart. Last year I used a fiberglass sanding pen and brush out the rust and brushed in some touch up paint. It seemed to have worked. But, I notice that i have a spot like it on the other side. There is no visible rust or bubling anywhere else on wheel wells. My thought was to clean out these small spots, brush in paint and then coat them with fluid film. I have the hose attachment for the can of fluid film and I am wondering if I can put the hose into the two holes that are standard in the inner fender liner. Those sprays in a shower like manner so that it will drench the area in every direction. I am thinking that this will soak the whole area with fluid film.
I had seen a video for fluid film and they used this hose to get in between body panels. I am not sure it will work, but I want to get this before it goes any further. I know cutting out the fender liner would be the only way to guarantee, but it seems extreme for the tiny little separation in the metal that I have in the seam. I just don't want it to get worse. I don't drive in the salt. What do you think about running the fluid film hose in there? Also, I wonder if I can put an inspection camera in there. They did that in the fluid film video as well. I could look before and after and see if I am actually soaking that area.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Here is the hose extension. There is a video clip that shows the wide spray pattern.
Fluid Film Spray Wand

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM
STILL LEARNING

By watching that video, I am less than impressed with the spray pattern. It did the neck of the bottle nice but 1/h the ball was not sprayed

post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM
PSN Veteran

I made a video of the rust that I have.

bed rust - inner liner nad outer fender separating - YouTube

I know rust is hard to beat, I am aware of that. What is annoying is that this truck doesn't see salt.
With respect to the fluid film video. That was only sprayed for 5 seconds. I wouldn't mind saturating the crap out of both inner fenders. I can access it through the holes that are there and spray the hell out of it. I could also use an inspection camera to see what is in there.

I think I am going to try to epoxy prime these couple of spots, paint them and then spray the fluid film. I have not one speck of rust on the outside of this truck. The underneath is extremely clean and rust free.

Once I paint and coat this stuff I am not sure what to do about the gaps. Should I just squeeze them together? The gaps make a great place for stuff to collect.

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

I did a little more looking into this and someone on the fordtruckenthusiast website said that you can reach up and feel the foam. He said that people in the salt belt remove them and then oil the hell out of it. I can't see how you can remove it like that, but they he too was suggesting fluid film.

post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 AM
PSN Local

Have you guys ever used Rust Check? I have been getting my truck sprayed and underneath still looks new. My dad has a the same year superduty and never got his sprayed. Now his fenders are rusting out and the bed cross members. They have big extensions on ther sprayers and drill small holes in your doors and rocker panels and spray in there. They take your tail lights out and spray inside the bed as well as all the bed cross members and the tail gate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F250 4X4 Auto 7.3
6637 intake
PHP phoenix chip
Glow shift Gauges
Trans temp,Boost, EGT
Diamond Eye 5" Exhaust
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:28 PM
PSN Newb

Unhappy Re: Bed Rusting Again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackford View Post
I'm not sure how many people have dealt with rust issues around the bed wheel wells, but I'm dealing with it for a second time and I'm really getting frustrated. Let me explain.

My truck is a 2001 that I bought used in March of 2003 with 21k miles. In the summer of 2006 I noticed that rust was starting around the rear wheel wells right in the location where the inner fender and outer fender are attached using that foam adhesive. Ford gave me a song and dance and decided they wouldn't fix it. So in August of 2007 I bought a new 2008 take-off bed thinking I won't have to deal with any rust issues for a long long time. Well just the other day I noticed rust starting to pop through in the same exact location as my old truck bed. Right where that foam adhesive is. I can't believe that this has happened twice both times right around the 5-5 1/2 year mark. This is unbelievable. I know I live in the rust belt of America, but come on!! I take very good care of truck and this is just unacceptable. Is this a common problem with everyone else? It can't be just me, can it? I was planning on getting a used '09 or '10 superduty in the next year or two but I'm thinking I will just have the same problem again. I'm just very frustrated and disappointed that I can't get more than 5 years out of a truck before it starts rusting like that.

Any thoughts or advice?
mine is rusting to on my 09 superduty bed.i was going to go the rout of putting a new bed.but i have decided to go with a new alumium flat bed.so i will not haft to replace it again or repaint the bed.alumium bed in ohio is right around the same price of a brand new take off bed.plus you dont need to paint the bed.to match the cab.i live in new castle pa.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM
PSN Newb

Sorry to revive an old thread but how difficult is it to remove the spot welded bed supports without damaging the rest of the bed?
i'm considering replacing mine since they are the only thing showing a little rust now.

2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205 t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, EGT & Boost gauge. 18X9 -12 Fuel Hostage with Michelin 285/65/18 stock suspension.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclass View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but how difficult is it to remove the spot welded bed supports without damaging the rest of the bed?
i'm considering replacing mine since they are the only thing showing a little rust now.
You need to drill out he spot welds along the lip of the wheel well and the spot welds that attach the inner arch to the wheel well in the bed. They make spot weld drill bits just for doing this
aclass likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode