Leveling Kit Problem ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Leveling Kit Problem ?

I had a Ready Lift 3.5" leveling kit installed about 2 years ago along with 315 Duratrac's. Also had an alignment at the time and it had 67K miles on the odo. It now has 80K miles

Last week someone stopped my on the road and told me my truck was crabbing sort of like the truck was pointed to the left when driving straight. I never would have known unless this guy went out of his way to tell me.

I'm fairly certain the alignment is good since there's no uneven wear on the front wheels and the truck doesn't pull when I apply the brakes on a flat surface nor does it pull while I'm driving. The front end is pretty tight too. I take care of the truck.

I measured the axle centers and they're both dead on right side and left side.

The kit came with (I was told) everything I need. However, there is no adjustable track bar. Although I'm not sure if an adjustable track bar would correct the issue.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.

2005 F250 XLT SC, LB
6.0 Torqueshift 3.73LS 4x4
Truck: 02/05/05 Kentucky
Engine: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
ZOODAD, SEIC Mods
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315/70R17 Duratrac's
SG2
Motorcraft 850CCA's
Coolant Bypass Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM
PSN Local

Re: Leveling Kit Problem ?

An adjustable track bar might help. A lot of fords I have seen dog track a little bit

2004 F-250 regular cab long box, 6.0 w/ 6 speed, 4" turbo back exhaust, airaid airfilter, SCT, Sinister coolant filter, ARP studs, EGR delete, gauges- sold

2010 F-350 crew cab short bed Lariat. 6.4l with auto trans. Deleted and tuned.

Dylan
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM
PSN Local

Can you get some one to drive the truck while you follow it in another vehicle?

When you look down the side of the body of the truck, does it look like the front axle is shifted more to one side of the truck versus the other? As in, is one tire under the fender and the other sticks out of the fender.

It dosent completely relate to your problem, but your truck probably has a lot of bump steer with that trac bar drop bracket installed. Do you notice the steering wheel moving in your hands more when you hit bumps?

Aaron

2002 ExCabLb, Auto,38R,ITP RR, ITP in tank pre pump, DI headers,IH up pipes,AIS intake,Walbro pump,Stage I, Swamps tunes, 2005 axles, Icon 2.5,2011 springs wCarli add a packs, Icon panhard, Bilstiens,OUOALA,OUO2011Tbars, 35 Duratrac, 17 Walker Evans

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Aaron, that's exactly what the guy said. That the tire on one side on the front axle was sticking out a few inches further than the other side. As if the axle wasn't centered under the truck. I honestly can't say I notice any bump steer. It seems to ride fine.

2005 F250 XLT SC, LB
ZOODAD, SEIC Mods
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315/70R17 Duratrac's
SG2
Motorcraft 850CCA's
Coolant Bypass Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM
PSN Local

If thats the case, then an adjustable trac bar is what will fix the problem. I use an Icon bar and havent had any problems with it, and there are plenty of other good ones out there.

If you install an adjustable bar, just look down the side of the truck and adjust until the tires seem to stick out the same amount on both sides. Once it seems centered you will have to adjust the drag link to get the steering wheel straight. It usually takes me a couple of drives to get the wheel straight. None of this affects alignment so you wont need to get it realigned wether you do the adjustable bar or not.

Aaron

2002 ExCabLb, Auto,38R,ITP RR, ITP in tank pre pump, DI headers,IH up pipes,AIS intake,Walbro pump,Stage I, Swamps tunes, 2005 axles, Icon 2.5,2011 springs wCarli add a packs, Icon panhard, Bilstiens,OUOALA,OUO2011Tbars, 35 Duratrac, 17 Walker Evans
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The funny thing is that when it's parked both tires stick out the same amount on both sides as if the axle is centered. Is this something that only occurs while underway ?

2005 F250 XLT SC, LB
ZOODAD, SEIC Mods
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315/70R17 Duratrac's
SG2
Motorcraft 850CCA's
Coolant Bypass Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
PSN Local

If its centered sitting still then it should be the same on the highway.

As the axle droops away from the frame it will move towards the driver side of the truck. When the suspension is compressed, axle closer to the frame, it moves towards the passenger side of the truck.

I know you say you measured the wheel base on both sides, but if you look at the tires in the wheel wells, mainly the rear. Does the tire look centered in the wheel well? Maybe one of the leaf spring center bolts is broken and the rear axle is shifting?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM
PSN Local

Do all of the mounting bolts appear to be tight for drop brackets for the radius arms?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Interesting thought. I'll look at it tomorrow and start taking some more measurements from fixed points on the undercarriage. Thanks for your input Aaron. Best regards.

2005 F250 XLT SC, LB
ZOODAD, SEIC Mods
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315/70R17 Duratrac's
SG2
Motorcraft 850CCA's
Coolant Bypass Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM
PSN Local

I still say drive behind it if you can. It will give you the best idea of what is wrong, if anything.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode