Recon Stealth 3rd Brake Light (like Escalade) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Lost refugee from TDS

Recon Stealth 3rd Brake Light (like Escalade)

I'd like to see pictures from the SIDE of the Recon Stealth Third Brake Light. There are a few pictures online from vendors selling them, but all the pics are from directly behind, or from 3/4 rear. I'd like to see a straight on side view, if at all possible.

I read they look like a whale tail, much larger and goofy-er than what was expected. But I've not seen any in person, nor have I seen any pictures from the side.

I think they look kind of cool from behind in the pics, particularly on a black truck with a gasket mounted rear window (as opposed to a urethane set rear window). The upper flange of the gasket hides the lower seam of the fiberglass housing, so between the Ford body seam caps on the side, and this flange, the entire housing looks as if the truck came that way. The newer model ('04 and up) rear windows that are urethane set do not have a gasket to hide the lower seam of the brake light housing, so the Recon looks a little tacked on on those trucks. I have a 2000, which has a gasket mounted window, so I'm thinking this Stealth thing will look built in. And my truck being a chassis cab didn't even come with a 3rd brake light, so I'm looking forward to having one.

However, I read some very shady things about Recon as a company. Poor customer service. Poor quallity merchandise. LED's that quit working within a year. Light housings that leak. Only a 90 day warranty, and a "tough sh*t" attidude when it breaks.

But then again, only the folks who are dissatisfied bother to post, and it seems that the Recon products they were talking about were not necessarily the "Stealth" 3rd brake light... they were other products, like the Lind of Fire, the mirror lights, cab lights, etc.

So, what's your opinoin about this Recon Stealth 3rd Brake Light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM
PSN Local

Re: Recon Stealth 3rd Brake Light (like Escalade)

I don't have a stealth third brake light but do have mirror, tail, 3rd brake, and mini tailgate bar on my truck now as well as my last truck. Recon has been more than great to deal with and I've had good luck with their products so far. Best LEDs I have came across so far!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Wow someone who had great dealings with Recon

was this concerning an issue?
or just ordering etc ?

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Lost refugee from TDS

I donno Zmann, maybe Recon's customer service depends on the dude.

For example, if I saw Chrome04strokin's truck in my rear view mirror, I'd sure as heck move the hell out of the way! Just look at that thing in his avatar. I drive a big black 550, but I'd still move over. Maybe the folks at Recon feel the same way? :).

Sorry, didn't mean to derail my own thread. Still looking for feedback on that Stealth 3rd brake light. Does it look goofy from the side? Does it stay stuck on? Does it leak? Do the LED's last longer than a year or two? Does Recon treat most customers like crap? (except of course Chrome04Strokin)

I don't mean to tease you Chrome (I don't dare!). It's just that I don't visit this site much, and for the first time I noticed how menacing your truck looks in your avatar, and couldn't help but comment on it! Thanks for reporting your experience. It sounds encouraging!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 AM
PSN Veteran

I've had damn good service from them 3 yrs ago I bought every product they offered at the time and the scanning light bar was bad. Called them up he overnighted me a new one and it turned out to be bad so I called him up that day and he sent another one two day ups and all this before I had even sent a single one of the other two back. That was pretty damn good I think and that 3rd light bar is still going strong today! Now on topic, I guess I'm the only one who gave this damn thing a shot but here ya go..

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Now as you can see it has no effect on the body line except a slight roll effect coming off the cab. I think it looks good but hey what do I know. Now it is 3yrs old and two of the white leds have gone out on the right side so I dunno not so good for leds...

Like I said I went a lil overboard on the leds...........
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 AM
PSN Local

Great looking truck
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Lost refugee from TDS

CSHSRH...

THANK YOU!!! You do have quite a bit of customization going on there, and I REALLY APPRECIATE your taking time out to post the pics of the Recon Stealth Brake light.

It isn't nearly as prominent as I had feared. I think I'll order one. Of course, I wanted the Lariat LE visor 12 years ago when Ford put that on the Limited Edition models... until I learned that the non vented external visor would tear off in the wind on the highway.

But knowing you've had yours on for 3 years now eases my mind a bit.

I realize this is a belated thank you, but this is the first time I've had a chance to see your pics since you posted them. I don't get on here much. I should figure out how to set email notices or something.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 AM
PSN Veteran

[QUOTE=Robyn;1849787]CSHSRH...

THANK YOU!!! You do have quite a bit of customization going on there, and I REALLY APPRECIATE your taking time out to post the pics of the Recon Stealth Brake light.

It isn't nearly as prominent as I had feared. I think I'll order one. Of course, I wanted the Lariat LE visor 12 years ago when Ford put that on the Limited Edition models... until I learned that the non vented external visor would tear off in the wind on the highway.

But knowing you've had yours on for 3 years now eases my mind a bit.

I realize this is a belated thank you, but this is the first time I've had a chance to see your pics since you posted them. I don't get on here much. I should figure out how to set email notices or something.

Thanks again![/QUOTE

I forgot all about this thread. I must update you though last week while driving home running speed limit 55 the lens just up and blew off. So I'll be removing it for good. Not to pissed though I did get a lil over 3 yrs perfect service for just over $200.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Lost refugee from TDS

WOW. PHUG THAT.

The last thing I need is to get sued over a lens flying off my truck and striking a motorcylist behind me, causing them to lose control and lay it down, only to be run over by another truck, costing them their life. I don't care if I got a decade's worth of service.

THANK YOU THANK YOU AGAIN, this time for reporting not only how it looks, but your real life experience with that brake light.

Needless to say, that sucker is OFF my list for good!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode