Discuss these pictures. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Discuss these pictures.

Ok well was doing a tire rotation today and I came up with some pictures I would like to get more info about. Please reference what picture you're talking about when you respond.

This picture is of the drivers side frame infront of the tire but back from the bumper bracket. There is a bolt with a captured nut there. Well what goes here? Does anyone have something attached there is so what?

This is the drivers side, bottom of the radiator, kinda where it mounts i think. Well there is coolant dripping out of it. Nothing drastic but i notice a wetspot everynow and then on the ground. What is it and where is it coming from?

With discussion of trac bar issues here is a picture of mine. This is a 6" 4link lit with a 2" leveling kit. This is with a trac bar drop bracket and a drop pitman arm. Should i change something or ok how it is?

I think this is the axle seal? Is it a common problem for these to come loose? Should i be worried or just not worry till i take a hub off for something. Or is there a way to put it back in with the hub on?

And to top it off Just look

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F350, 6.0, CC, SWB, VEGISTROKE, AD2, ARP's, OEM Gaskets, Pmax, 200cc Sticks SCT SF3, FICM Tunning, Custom ZOODAD, Coolant Filter, EGR Delete, Smoked Cab Lights, 6" Mitre Stacks, 8" 4-link Lift, SS-M16 37/13.50/20 SURE WAS NICE WITHOUT THE ADS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
COMPUTER BLUE

Re: Discuss these pictures.

and i thought i had some loose ends to fix on my truck

ouch

lots of 6.4's and a few 6.0's

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Oooo, White Lightning !

Old girls taken a beating.

You could have a small hole in your rad. Try running some barnsleak through it.

Trac bar looks fine. Im not sure why you are asking ?

As for that bolt, if memory serves correct it has just come loose. I wanna say it bolts into the trac bar bracket or pitman arm bracket. Just tighten it back in.

Leaf springs do break btw, just take it out and take it to a spring shop and have them put a new one in. Id recommend both sides just so they sit and wear evenly.

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Learning from PSN

In the picture with the axle seal ,is it the drivers side? If so I would change it when you get a chance. Mine and a friend's late 99 were bad and both of our inner axle seals were bad. The driver's side short tube seems to allow water and dirt in easier and eats the inner seal. The inner seal isn't too bad to replace, but if you catch it early, it is one less thing to do. We made a tool out of all thread rod and some steel plate to install the inner seal.That really helped to make it easier. I'm no expert just going by prior experience. I would replace both sides of the springs also ,if one is broke the other is weak and will also break sooner then later. Found that out from experience also.

94.5 CCLB 5 speed broke again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E99 CCLB 4x4 6 speed MBRP 4" straight turbo back 6637 6" lift Southbend way too small Nitto 265 tires a.k.a Grugly 04 Excursion Limited
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ya just a few things i have seen that need attention.

Radiator - Putting something in the coolant beside cat elc i think would clog up the oil cooler. and would also just clog the coolant filter so i dont know how that would work?

As for the bolt. has nothing to do with the trac bar nor the pitman arm. It is a bolt that goes through the frame into a captured nut. If i tightened it it would do nothing but hold that section of frame together. Not a bad idea to prevent rust i guess but ya nothing to do with the trac bar or pitman arm or their brackets.

As for the trac bar pic - I was wondering if getting the two more parallel would prevent bump steer or if they are fine the way they are. Thread have been started regarding flipping the trac bar or getting an adjustable one to make the drag link and trac bar more even so i was wondering about mine.

And the springs yes i am still working with the manufacturer. I will bring up the idea about replacing both due to the eneven ride hight or sagging/aging of the springs at different times. They have a lifetime warranty on defects so i hope to get this replaced.

Axle seal is the drivers side. Passenger side looks ok. I will tackle it i guess whenever i take a hub off. I have seen the custom (redneck) homemade presses people make to seat these seals. Is it as simple as beating them in till they sit? IDK i have never done it.

F350, 6.0, CC, SWB, VEGISTROKE, AD2, ARP's, OEM Gaskets, Pmax, 200cc Sticks SCT SF3, FICM Tunning, Custom ZOODAD, Coolant Filter, EGR Delete, Smoked Cab Lights, 6" Mitre Stacks, 8" 4-link Lift, SS-M16 37/13.50/20 SURE WAS NICE WITHOUT THE ADS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Lost Cause

I'll make comment on the rear leafs. Replace the entire pack with either Deaver or Icons. It is going to cost some money to pull the packs out, replace the broken leaf and the corresponding one on the other side, and still have the risk of another or more in the pack failing. Get some 5" lift springs and add a small block if needed to get the desired stance.

2016 F-350, FX4, CCLB, 6.7PSD, 7" OUO/ICON/FOX lift, 38x13.50-18 Toyo MT
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Learning from PSN

You might be able to beat them in. There is not alot of room in there . A home made tool will more then likely seat them in better.

E99 CCLB 4x4 6 speed MBRP 4" straight turbo back 6637 6" lift Southbend way too small Nitto 265 tires a.k.a Grugly 04 Excursion Limited
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Springs - There is a lifetime warranty so i hope to get a new set from the Manufacturer and hopefully in the 8" version and not 6". Well then i will just have to lift the front then huh :)

Seal - Ya i will try and fit it in. Question is where does it go? Does it ride on the collar on the stub shaft or does it go behind there?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Learning from PSN

The outer seal rides on the stub shaft. No problem getting it on. Just tap it down till it seats on the lip. The inner seats into the inside of the houseing. You have to take out the center section. Don't worry about that. It comes out in one piece. Just make sure you don't mix up the bearing caps. They are marked which way is up. Make sure you have a good torque wrench and a repair manual to get all your torque values. You might luck out and not have a bad inner seal.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Axle seal is the drivers side. Passenger side looks ok. I will tackle it i guess whenever i take a hub off. I have seen the custom (redneck) homemade presses people make to seat these seals. Is it as simple as beating them in till they sit? IDK i have never done it.
Quote:
Does it ride on the collar on the stub shaft
Yes it does but and you might be able to just work it back on without taken anything apart but

that is the dust seal not to be confused with the seal in the knuckle they have a new improved dust seal that replaces the axle shaft mounted one for an axle tube inserted one that actually works,, but to get to that is way more than "taking a hub off" the above comment about bearing caps and what not does not apply to these trucks ,, they use a unit bearing

Quote:
As for the trac bar pic - I was wondering if getting the two more parallel would prevent bump steer or if they are fine the way they are. Thread have been started regarding flipping the trac bar or getting an adjustable one to make the drag link and trac bar more even so i was wondering about mine.
if you have bump steer fixing the angles should help

new seal in the tube and you can see where the old seal used to sit on the axle

as far as the bolt and captured nut I would bet your missing a skid plate? I will go look at mine later

can't really tell location from the pic but make sure your radiator petcock is closed all the way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revised seal.JPG (236.4 KB, 25 views)

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode