Need exhaust help. Resonator? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Need exhaust help. Resonator?

I just had a MBRP 4" TB exhaust (with muffler, no cat)put on my truck while it was in for studs. It has a good deep tone to it during acceleration. It sounds good, except for the in cab drone around 2000 RPM. Wonder if a resonator would help get rid of that? Will it hurt the performance of the exhaust system at all? I like the "big block" sound of the exhaust, I just cant deal with the drone at highway speed, or even when it idles a little high when its cold.

2005 F350 Crew Cab 4x4

PMF Rear Leaf Spring Conversion w/2011 Leaf Springs
20" Harley Wheels 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
SCT X3 w/GearHead Tunes
Amp Steps, Bedrug, HID's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Need exhaust help. Resonator?

Call me crazy but try taking off the muffler. Mine has no drone at all at cruising speed. With the windows up I honestly can't even tell the difference from stock, unless I'm above 2500 rpm.

2007 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuekear View Post
I just blow my heads off the block once a year. Keeps nice clean antifreeze in it, although not that cost effective it sure is fun.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Pilot

Just a thought but was the muffler installed the proper direction? I have the same exhaust and nearly zero drone and there definitely isn't any with an elevated idle. I remember in the instructions that it said if he muffler was installed in a certain direction it would increase drone in the cab. If it is installed properly, I can't see how a resonator would hurt the performance.

2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat, Dark Stone/Medium Parchment, 6.0L, Torqshift, 3.73LS, TBC, Captain's Chairs, Heated Seats, Power Pedals, Tow Mirrors, Moonroof, Power Sliding Rear Window

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97

muffler or straight pipe will drone,some people might have different opions on what is considered drone

FTE Resonator all the way, I put it on mine and the in cab noise/drone it gone but it still sounds loud and aggressive from out side

they make 2 sizes, a 17" and a 30" (?i think)
i have the smaller one immediatly after my down pipe followed by 4" mbrp system with no muffler

CCLB with some stuff done .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode