Battery light already went throught tons of old thread - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Battery light already went throught tons of old thread

MY battery light has been flickering on and off for the past few weeks had alternator and batteries tested on my way by autozone they said it was all good and a little bit ago dash board cluster and radio went dead for a few seconds than flicked back on went back off for a split second and have been on since than but the truck never died
any places to start looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM
All done now

Re: Battery light already went throught tons of old thread

Check all the connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Especially the single one on top of the alternator, It like to break loose and still appear good.

Also, did they disconnect the batteries and test them seperately? Did you have a load test put on the alternator?

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No they did not disconnect them. He hooked it to the alternator with the truck running he said everything read fine, so i turned the truck off and he tested each battery individually he did mention something about the battery on the driver side showed 100% charged but the one on the passenger side showed 97% charged. could that be enough to set off my battery light
If i get an ohm reader i should be able to do this.
Do you know what reading i should get off of the battery I am far from being a mechanic

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Butt-Head

The ONLY thing that will turn on the battery light is the voltage regulator ON the alternator (unless you have an 02-03 truck-not listed).

The regulator can still work fine....but the control circuit for the bulb can have problems.

Cody
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPDiesel View Post
The ONLY thing that will turn on the battery light is the voltage regulator ON the alternator (unless you have an 02-03 truck-not listed).

The regulator can still work fine....but the control circuit for the bulb can have problems.
Or the fuse (I think its number 6 or 5 under hood (depends on alternator setup and truck year.) Or the connector to the Alt is bad, the wire should have 14+ volts if you unhook it from the truck and test while running (although mine shows about .2 volts lower than battery/charging voltage the light is not on.)

Also test the wire from the fuse box to the alternator connector (the 2 or 3 line one) with clip on leads jiggle the line around, while testing it and see if the reading changes.

2001 7.3l F-250 Extended Cab Short Bed
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Butt-Head

I guess I should have elaborated a bit....

The ONLY thing that the battery indicator light is HOOKED to is the voltage regulator. Anything that has an effect on the regulator can cause the light to flash, flicker, etc.

Cody
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
All done now

Did some guy at Autozone test it. He didn't even know what the machine was last week. And he is making less money than the guy that makes your frys at McDonalds. He would also probably sell you some spark plugs for your truck if you asked him to.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
Did some guy at Autozone test it. He didn't even know what the machine was last week. And he is making less money than the guy that makes your frys at McDonalds. He would also probably sell you some spark plugs for your truck if you asked him to.
Thats funny as hell
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPDiesel View Post

I have an 02 truck
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Butt-Head

Well, throw everything I said out the window.

Cody

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode