Cool Mod - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Above It All

Cool Mod

AutoMagic Coolant Bypass

On a nice summer day, it is nice to have fresh air blowing in your face as you travel down the road. You probably have noticed that if you select "Vent" in your Super Duty, you get a blast of hot air instead. It really bugs me that I have to run the A/C just to get fresh air into the cab. I set out to fix this. Although this idea was original, I found I was not the first to do it. A side benefit is the getting the most of the A/C. You may have seen similar setups that shut the coolant off when "Max A/C" is selected. That does not accomplish my wants/desires. Neither does a manual valve.

Realizing that the Temperature Selector positioned a Blend Door, it seemed I could use the Blend Door position to operate a micro switch. This would shut off the coolant when the coolest position was selected. That would also allow blending of heated air when desired.

This system is setup to fail open. By tapping into the red vacuum line the system will only allow the coolant to be shut off in the Max A/C, A/C and Vent. It remains open in any of the settings on the right side of Off. Because this system fails open, the heater core is never shut off for any length of time. It will open with loss of electrical power or vacuum. Therefore it will open every time you shut down the truck.

Click on Pics to enlarge.

HVAC Controls

It is easier to work on this if you remove the front of the dash. Fairly easy to pull. Remove the radio, undo a couple screws and pull it out of the clips. You also need to drop the Glove Box Door. Squeeze the sides. Might remove it completely as well.

You may come up with something different... I mounted a micro switch on top of the blend door servo motor. The shaft that turns the blend door runs through to the top of the servo. It has a square center hole. I used a press fit square dowel in the shaft and mounted a plastic cam on that to operate the micro switch. There are two screws that hold the servo bracket to the HVAC housing. One is at the back and can't be seen. You have to use feel to remove it.

Servo on HVAC Unit:

I have the micro switch adjusted that it makes contact just before the blend door reaches max cold.

Side View:

Top View:

I tapped into a hot wire at the back of the heater fan switch. (you need to pull the dash to access) I don't recall the wire color. The same wire runs to the servo motor but that wire is of very light gage and I preferred not to use it. Once the Micro Switch is setup the rest is relatively simple.

Again you may come up with something different that a vacuum relay and vacuum bypass valve to shut off or bypass the coolant. Initially I looked for a 12 volt motorized valve.

Vacuum Tap:

I put a 'Tee' in the red vacuum line under the heater(behind the glove box)
I mounted the vacuum relay in the engine compartment on top of the heater box. The line from the tap runs through the firewall to the endmost port of the vacuum relay. A wire runs from the micro switch to the vacuum relay. The other electrical terminal of the relay is just to ground.

Vacuum Relay/Bypass Valve:

The bypass valve is simply cut into the heater lines. I like the 4 port valve as it allows the coolant to recirculate while the heater core is bypassed. A vacuum line runs from the second port of the vacuum relay to this bypass valve.

The coolant bypass is a '89 Ford Ranger available at most parts stores.
The micro switch is just generic from any electronic supply house.
The Vacuum Relay is problamatic. It is really a simple, inexpensive device, but finding one locally is like looking for hen's teeth. A couple of mail order places that have it are:

MTG part# AC-8025
Vintage Air part# 11542-VUS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'01 F250 SC/SB 4X4 Trailer Tug
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Cool Mod

Good idea and great write-up. Might have to try it.

Hello, my name is Rich and I have a problem....

1997 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L
1974 F100 4x4 - A work in progress...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM
All done now

This is now on my to-do list.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Above It All

Can't edit. Damn! That would be a 98 Ranger bypass valve. NOT 89. Actually, you can use anything you can get that will fit the hoses.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Good write-up CC! Your a true asset to the diesel forums!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 PM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck View Post
Can't edit. Damn! That would be a 98 Ranger bypass valve. NOT 89. Actually, you can use anything you can get that will fit the hoses.
PM a mod, they can edit it for you.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Hoosier daddy!

I have a question about this cam and press fit dowel... Where did you get them? Maybe that's a dumb question, but I really don't know where... Thanks!

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Above It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin'_Man View Post
I have a question about this cam and press fit dowel... Where did you get them? Maybe that's a dumb question, but I really don't know where... Thanks!
You will have to manufacture them. I took a stick. Squared it off with a saw and cut it to length. The cam was a plastic bellcrank from a model aeroplane that got redesigned to fit my purpose. Someone else who did this use a wire terminal end as a cam. None of this stuff is going on the Space Shuttle. Use whatever you got kicking around.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Hoosier daddy!

Quote:
You will have to manufacture them. I took a stick. Squared it off with a saw and cut it to length. The cam was a plastic bellcrank from a model aeroplane that got redesigned to fit my purpose. Someone else who did this use a wire terminal end as a cam. None of this stuff is going on the Space Shuttle. Use whatever you got kicking around.
10-4... Thanks for the reply!

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
All done now

Quote:
None of this stuff is going on the Space Shuttle. Use whatever you got kicking around.
Bet it will be just as reliable though. On some of the shuttle stuff, it seems like that is exactly what they did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode