XL to XLT - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

XL to XLT

Ive been digging and I have not been able to find any info on this. I have a 99 XL build date of 8/99, and I have a donor (XLT) truck that is also a 99. From memory its an early 99.

Apart form the obvious what else do I need other than the dash harness?

Gem module need to be reprogramed or can it be bypassed?

Any help would be nice before I start tearing into both of these.

01 2500 24v, vp
04 F250 Fummins, twins
99 F250 Fummins, twins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: XL to XLT

Dont everybody talk at once now...

01 2500 24v, vp
04 F250 Fummins, twins
99 F250 Fummins, twins
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 AM
PSN Local

I did this to a 06, it was very involved...but I'd do it again. And from the looks of your signature I'd have to guess your not scared to do it.

I used the RKE/Security module, and harness from the donor that was also an 06. The donor truck was badly wrecked and the junk yard had cut the cab up so I had to splice the harnesses together. In places where the XL had the same existing wires I used them and spliced them into the larger "XLT" harness. So the door speakers, dome lights, brake light, door ajar sensors, seat belt restraint sensors etc I left intact and spliced in the new harness.

So its hard to explain, so forgive me if this doesn't come out correctly. Remove the seats and vinyl/carpet floor. Remove the seat belts(be sure to lock them with something like a close-pin so they do not retract all the way in) then remove the associated panels the seat belts/re-tractors are in. Also remove all the door panels. The door harnesses run down the drivers kick panel turns and goes across the cab floor behind the drivers and pass front seats. If its a crewcab the rear door wiring(windows & locks)for the drivers side rear door, speaker, rear dome light, cargo light, brake lights, continues down the drivers side bottom panel. If you can envision a "H" in the wiring layout of the cab if you looked down on the harness from above with the top of the cab removed. The other side does the same. But the harness originates from the drivers side of the truck and is plugged into the back of the fuse box. On mine I just unplugged the existing harness and plugged in the new one into the fuse box. I did not remove the dash, I was able to install the RKE/Security module from behind the radio.

This "H" layout of the harness is one huge harness, it does not break or have a connector anywhere in it. So you have to remove and unplug them in the doors and fish it out of the door and into dash and then out of the dash. Its sucks. I spliced everything back together with heat-shrink tubing and solder.

It went really smooth, the only hang up I had was when I was all done nothing would work. In that large harness on a 06 there a 12ga Orange/pk wire that is not shown anywhere in the ford diagrams. And in all Ford diagrams black is ground...except for the odd ball orange wire....its a ground too. It grounds to the truck cab up behind the parking brake pedal assembly. It works good now though. I didn't pay enough attention to it in my removal procedure.

I know that's not a very good write up, considering you doing a 99. To be safe I'd swap the GEMs if you have both of them...just incase.

If you need help PM me, I'll do what I can. I can scan and send some ford diagrams for your 99 if you need them.

16 6.7 F-350 XLT SC 4x4 auto
06 6.0 F-250 XLT SC 4x4 auto
05 6.0 Excursion EB 4x4 auto
00 7.3 F-350 Lariat CC 4x4 12 speed
95 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD Auto Mechanics Truck
94 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD 5 Speed 12ft Flatbed
93 7.3 F-Superduty XL IDI 5 Speed 12ft Dump bed

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-28-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: proof reading

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks! I figured that was about all there was too it.

But my truck is a reg cab and the donor is a crew. I seriously debating on making my own harness for the damn thing.

01 2500 24v, vp
04 F250 Fummins, twins
99 F250 Fummins, twins
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

I'm gonna do it the easy way (to me) and just pay a place in Houston $1500 to do everything after I get my actual XLT done.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachie View Post
Thanks! I figured that was about all there was too it.

But my truck is a reg cab and the donor is a crew. I seriously debating on making my own harness for the damn thing.
Thats exactly what mine was I used a crewcab harness in a reg cab. I just pulled the extra non crewcab wires out of the harness. Which is just the rear power windows, locks and door ajar switches.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post
I'm gonna do it the easy way (to me) and just pay a place in Houston $1500 to do everything after I get my actual XLT done.

cheater!!

16 6.7 F-350 XLT SC 4x4 auto
06 6.0 F-250 XLT SC 4x4 auto
05 6.0 Excursion EB 4x4 auto
00 7.3 F-350 Lariat CC 4x4 12 speed
95 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD Auto Mechanics Truck
94 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD 5 Speed 12ft Flatbed
93 7.3 F-Superduty XL IDI 5 Speed 12ft Dump bed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 AM
PSN Newb

Jeremy, you didnt have to program your vsm did you? Ford is telling me i have to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode