Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Injector noise = longevity?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  kainers 
#1 ·
It's no secret that the injectors make more noise when switching from lower chip settings to the higher HP settings. In my simple way of thinking this increased noise sure sounds like things are working harder and that means the parts should wear out faster? Does this make sense to anyone else?

In particular there seems to be a big jump in noise when I switch from a tow program (40 or 60) to the 80econo setting. I like the increased MPG when using the setting but not if it's going to shorten the life of the injectors significantly. I have been told some of the increased noise is from advancing the timing which makes sense although the injectors seems to make a similar amount of noise in the 80econo and 120+ settings.

Who has alot of miles on the 80econo setting? I have maybe 30K miles total between two vehicles. Anyone have more than 100K running the program?

Comments.......... :ford:

#2 ·
I don't think you can hear the injectors anyways. I too notice that there is a louder engine sound when I switch to 80E and my feeling is that it is because of the timing. The way it sprays fuel affects power and the combustion characteristics so that might be what you are hearing. By themselves, injectors are not that noisy.

#3 ·
Get some single-shots and tell me how quiet they are, there not compared to splits.

#5 ·
Agreed. Still miss the quietness of splits but not the lack of power from them..........mini-me's all the way.:D

#7 ·
Then why does 2-cycle oil in the fuel significantly quiet the engine noise? I have tried it and it definitely quiets my engine. I was under the impression that the 2-cycle oil lubes and therefore quiets the injectors. If this is true then you can in fact hear the injectors firing. Otherwise, the 2-cycle oil is quieting the engine........how?

#8 ·
Changing the way the fuel burns.

Like I said before, I noticed it much quieter after I did the Regulated Return and a little more after I did big oil. Why? Because the RR feeds more fuel to the #8. With that, it changed the combustion characteristics. Big Oil became a sort of HPX which again affected how the fuel got into the chamber which affected how it burns.

#9 ·
The injectors do tick, but they don't clatter. There's a very definite difference you can hear.

It does quiten the tap some, but the "tap" is there in stock trucks and in modded, I don't think it's a result of the chip program.

99% of what you hear when you change to the 80E program is timing. The other 1% comes from the increased ICP making the injectors louder, but I really doubt a human ear could hear that change. JMHO

#10 ·
OK...it sounds like I need to investigate a fuel system to quiet the engine down. In the 80econo setting just cruising down the highway empty the engine noise gets to be plenty annoying. In the tow programs it is not nearly as noticable. More research. More $$$.

#11 ·
If you want Q U I E T look at Jvencius' mods.

His truck is literally so quiet the tires are much louder than the engine at 70mph. Really, there is no rattle at all, just a slight whistle if you pull a grade. I was impressed.

He has itp fuel system, fluidampr, stock injs, dp tuner 80 econo.

He doesn't even have big oil, or an hpx that I know of, and it's QUIET.

Riding in his truck really moved a fluidampr up the list for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.