van turbo? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Send a message via AIM to PoweR_STOKED_Bryan
van turbo?

hey guys. ive got a question about turbos. i just bought a 2001 f-350 with an afe stage 1 intake, php chip, 4 inch straight pipe to 5 inch miter cut stacks. i am experiencing some surge when i hammer on it a little bit. i was looking at buying the ATS ported housing because its an almost guranteed fix. a friend of mine told me that the van turbo is a great drop in replacement that will provide better performance, cure surge and lower egts....plus you can find one for a couple hundred bucks more than just the housing. is this true? thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 AM
PSN Local

Re: van turbo?

Van turbo would be a good upgrade. Just get a van turbo adapter and a wicked wheel and you will have no more surge.

2000 F-350 Crew Cab - 7.3L Turbo Diesel, .10 Over Block w/ Machined Mahle Pistons, Cryo'd Forged Rods, Melling LPOP, Fully Balanced Engine, Rosewood 250cc/100%, BatMoWheel'd 1.15 38r, SRP1, ITP RR, 910's, DI Pushrods, ARP Studs, Walbro Pump, BDP Live Tuned, and BTS Converter+VB+Pump Mods.

545rwhp/1,243rwtq - w/o Built Engine and BatMoWheel
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i found a turbo with 90K miles and a wicked wheel for 300 bucks...good deal?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweR_STOKED_Bryan View Post
hey guys. ive got a question about turbos. i just bought a 2001 f-350 with an afe stage 1 intake, php chip, 4 inch straight pipe to 5 inch miter cut stacks. i am experiencing some surge when i hammer on it a little bit. i was looking at buying the ATS ported housing because its an almost guranteed fix. a friend of mine told me that the van turbo is a great drop in replacement that will provide better performance, cure surge and lower egts....plus you can find one for a couple hundred bucks more than just the housing. is this true? thanks for the help!
Van turbo is a drop in replacement you just need to get the adapter for the exhaust housing.. i dont know if in the long run if its cheaper than the ats housing but it is a good option to cure surge issues. I think all said and done after i had mine done ive got about 400$ in it after selling my stock turbo.. only difference in the van turbo and a stock turbo is the exhaust housing size. stock is .84ar and van turbo is 1.15ar and non wastegated.

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
05 Grille/08 Center Console
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
i found a turbo with 90K miles and a wicked wheel for 300 bucks...good deal?
If i were you i would rebuild it before installing it..
Beans Diesel Performance - 99-03 Power Stroke Stock Turbo Rebuild Kit (Powered by CubeCart)
And heres the link for the adapter
Beans Diesel Performance - 99-03 Power Stroke Van Turbo Adapter Flange (Powered by CubeCart)

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by white7.3 View Post
i dont know if in the long run if its cheaper than the ats housing but it is a good option to cure surge issues.
do they not last as long or something? i mean the ATS housing is a $430 part that shouldnt need "maintenence". im not looking to build this truck or anything. i just want a reliable, daily driver, and towing truck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
do they not last as long or something? i mean the ATS housing is a $430 part that shouldnt need "maintenence". im not looking to build this truck or anything. i just want a reliable, daily driver, and towing truck.
Yeh should last as long as any other turbo. Ive not had a problem yet out of mine and ive put around 15k on it. I rebuilt mine myself and installed the WW and non ebpv pedistal.. Should hold up just fine....

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok cool. spools up just as fast as stock? thanks for the responses. if i can buy one for a decent price i probably will.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
ok cool. spools up just as fast as stock? thanks for the responses. if i can buy one for a decent price i probably will.
No it spools up slower than the stock turbo due to the larger exhaust housing. Its pretty laggy on the low end, mine spools up i think around 1600rpm or so.. but once it spools egt's barely go up compared to the stock superduty turbo.

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode