Fuel System Stage 1: In-tank & Pre Pump - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Fuel System Stage 1: In-tank & Pre Pump

I did my in tank and pre pump mods last night.

I purchased the in tank kit from dennis at ITP: http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

I opted to purchase it without the filter head, filter and bracket and got that from IH, and made my own bracket.

I'm using the Fleetguard version of the 1212 filter, Dennis gave me some specs on it compared to the Baldwin unit and it seems like a good option, althought the Baldwin is a little more efficient.

Dennis' kit was great, parts were perfect, good quality rubber hose and clamps, pickup tube fit perfect, exactly what the stock one measured with no modifications.

Only thing I would have liked is more pics Dennis... (I hate reading, I like picture puzzles )

That frickin skid plate is 10X heavier than the tank!!!!

After seeing the CRAP in my tank I'm really glad I got a pre pump filter now. There was some nasty turds in there.

Truck seems quieter now that I FINALLY got the air out of it. Seems like it took forever.

Did the harpoon tank vent mod too, hopefully I can fill er all the way up in less than an hour now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
HP Junky

Re: Fuel System Stage 1: In-tank & Pre Pump

Good to hear, I should be doing mine this weekend. Not looking forward to dropping that tank, but it's got to be done.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
PSN Veteran

I like that kit, but I think I am going to just get the pickup and return from Dennis and make the rest of it myself.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
PSN Veteran

glad to hear greg... i emailed you some pics of reg return stuff etc.

2002 F250
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowDiesel View Post
glad to hear greg... i emailed you some pics of reg return stuff etc.
Thanks Chase! I'll check it out when I get home from work. (no hotmail here )
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Hey article man----did you take photos of your install?

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Not really, I took a few of the good in the tank and the complete modified pickup assembly.

I will be more in depth on stage 2, DIY reg return.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: Fuel System Stage 1: In-tank & Pre Pump

I did mine last Sat night, I came here at like 8:30 and did'nt leave till after midnight. And yes the skid plate weighs more than the tank, I did mine the old fashion way. Take out bolts let tank drop, do stuff and man handle it back up into place, no jack. I really like the difference, less noise. Seems to run a lot smoother and may be a bit more power. Ofcorse I did the reg. fuel system Friday night.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM
USN-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
I did mine last Sat night, I came here at like 8:30 and did'nt leave till after midnight. And yes the skid plate weighs more than the tank, I did mine the old fashion way. Take out bolts let tank drop, do stuff and man handle it back up into place, no jack. I really like the difference, less noise. Seems to run a lot smoother and may be a bit more power. Ofcorse I did the reg. fuel system Friday night.

Dan
I've only assisted on three tank drops/mods on F-series trucks and if you intend to use a jack you should IMO use a craddle around the area of the pickup on those flimsy plastic tanks. They give a lot and you could push that black pickup up on the tubing and it might be off the bottom when the tank is filled or even damage things. That foot seems to be designed to be snugly against the bottom of the tank even when full so all those little "Nubs" keep major debris from blocking the pickup screen in the foot. We used a 2x12 about 30 inches long and two 2x4's(one near each end of the 2x12) so the tank rested on the 2x4's with the pickup in the middle. Again IMHO that craddle needs to be there when lowering, have the tank out, or are putting it back in i.e. anytime the tank is not secured with the straps. This is not something IMO to be done correctly with much less than 3 people. The first one I did only had two people and was sort of a pain, but was doable.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, BTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow/Aeroturbine,203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,AMSOIL air/oil-bypass/rear end 75w-140 fluid,3/8" fuel sys w/10Ķ DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass,6 way dr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters, husky mats,5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges,coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

It was fine with 2 people for me.

I also didn't see the tank flex AT ALL.

The BIG key is to not have much, or any, fuel in the tank when you drop it.

With no fuel it's just a big hunk of hard plastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode