Freak'n know it all

Re: ccv

s
e
a
r
c
h

some folks feel the need to vent the crankcase to the atmosphere instead of the intake.

99.5 350 crewcab dually 4x4
stage 1 singles, PHP tunes, banks bighead,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
autometer gauges,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, South Bend HD clutch, Gen 2 wicked wheel, AIS intake system.
post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
PSN Veteran

use the search feature!

Here let me help you...

CCV Mod on a 6.0? - PowerStrokeNation

I know it says for a 6.0, but its pretty much the same thing on a 7.3 and 6.0.

Oh and just in case you have questions about a catch can...

How to Build a CCV Catch Can - PowerStrokeNation

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin

post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Village Idiot

to be honest ...pretty much a waste of time in my book ...gasp, but pretty much accurate.

done wrong it will pressurize your crank case and push oil out everywhere.
(really good thread somewhere on that one.)

done quick and sloppy, it dribbles oil and stinks, pollutes water runoff.

done right it is expensive and most are too cheap.

done half right you need to maintain it closer, eventually it will saturate and not work as well...but better then the alternatives.
( pvc catch can style, nchornet, and a few others have some pics of this.)

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
riverjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
to be honest ...pretty much a waste of time in my book ...gasp, but pretty much accurate.

done wrong it will pressurize your crank case and push oil out everywhere.
(really good thread somewhere on that one.)

done quick and sloppy, it dribbles oil and stinks, pollutes water runoff.

done right it is expensive and most are too cheap.

done half right you need to maintain it closer, eventually it will saturate and not work as well...but better then the alternatives.
( pvc catch can style, nchornet, and a few others have some pics of this.)
I agree,leave it alone.I have tried everything.BD or RACOR did not work out for me.Still left oil in my system.I am now running a hose to the back but I get a lot of flack from the public.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjet View Post
I agree,leave it alone.I have tried everything.BD or RACOR did not work out for me.Still left oil in my system.I am now running a hose to the back but I get a lot of flack from the public.
Tried that once and it wasn't as good as dumping it down to the ground like the T444E does.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@stealth-automotive

you could try this: CCV Mod

post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
PSN Veteran

building the can out of some PVC is simple easy and works perfectly. It beats having your truck sh!t where it eats. Oil in all the silicon boots. Now we have all new kind of $$ boots all becasue we shoot dirty carbon filled old oil down the intake. At the very least build a can and route it back to the intake. It shoudl catch most of the oil. More blow by more oil as well.

3" PVC pipe, 2 end caps ( one screw on clean out type), pvc primer and glue back, 000 steel wool, 2 PVC threaded barbs hose fittings, one 5/8 to 3/4 barbed hose fitting, one petcock or PVC threaded ball valve, silicon sealant. Thread one fitting (90 degree) into the top cap. Thread the other near the bottom of the pipe right above the bottom cap. Thread the ball valve or petcock in the bottom cap. Fill the pipe with steel wool. 5/8-3/4 fitting into line from the VC dog house to 3/4 hose to the lower barbed fitting in the catch can. Install a hose to the top fitting and run out the rear or back to the intake. When you do your oil change open the petcock or valve and let drain any oil that has settled in the bottom if any. Use 3/4" fittings and hose.

If you are worried about smoke drawing attention then route the hose right next to your tail pipe tip.

Total cost about $30 give to take. Will not cause any back pressure. Will help remove most all oil mist from the vapor so no oil drip from the hose end to ruin your driveway or garage floor.

The oil filled fumes will enter into the lower half of the can. The oily mist will collect on the steel wool mesh. As it does and the droplet build they will fall to the bottom. The hot fumes will rise up and out the top fitting and hose to atmosphere or back to intake.
post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Village Idiot

Frankly I see no value in the ccv mod, now proven otherwise maybe.
but proof that it is un needed seems easier.
aside from my boots being small and orange...they still hold up fine after 12 years and 180k, as is my turbo. maybe the extra oiling is a good thing.
But i am open to other ideas.

The problem i see is steel wool will become saturated and be nothing more then an oily pad obstructing flow.
see this in restaunt hoods all the time. That is the key behind the racor design, the filters are changed.
if doing the pvc route i would have a drain at the bottom for service draining, but I would make the body unscrew to change out the media or make sure it hasn't settled etc.
plus you have to have a clean system to start with, otherwise redue will just keep getting blown out of the IC..maybey after doing a spearco swap would be a good time.

I had a design at one time that would flip the dog house around , feed a small servicable tank, and then return back to the intake. plenty of decent catch tanks on the "Bay" finding one that split would be harder.

just my 2 cent.

if I just had to do the ccv mod my order of doing it would be ,
buy the racor kit, $$$$
diy if you can do it right.
or just buy rauls kit.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
Frankly I see no value in the ccv mod, now proven otherwise maybe.
but proof that it is un needed seems easier.
aside from my boots being small and orange...they still hold up fine after 12 years and 180k, as is my turbo. maybe the extra oiling is a good thing.
But i am open to other ideas.

if I just had to do the ccv mod my order of doing it would be ,
buy the racor kit, $$$$
diy if you can do it right.
or just buy rauls kit.
I do know that I don't have boots that blow off anymore. They blew off a couple of times in the past usually when I was boosting it above 20. The last time it blew off after the mod was because the nut on the clamp came off. Seems like the mechanic replaced the lock nut with a regular nut when he lost the lock nut. I'd fire him but it is hard to do that when you are the tech.

There are millions of T444E units that vent to atmosphere. Ford does it this way for emissions reasons. If it really oiled the turbo, wouldn't International have done the same thing?

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode