turbo timers? I got questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
all about ford

turbo timers? I got questions

I run for a volunteer fire department so i respond for fire runs from my house. I use lights and sirens to get there and normally get my truck rather hot. At what temp on my egt's is it safe to turn the truck off. I heard that if i excessively turn the truck off when its up around 4 or 500 egt's it will damage the turbo. I have been thinking of a turbo timer but have no idea about them. Does anyone on here use them or have info about them or does any one sell them?
I would like to get one in the near future. Its hard to sit in the truck and let it cool down when i need to get inside and get my gear on lol. Thank you in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
id: 5520

Re: turbo timers? I got questions

The only experience I have with the timer is, I have had several Viper remote start systems that included the timer.. It had a push button switch on the dash.. I would push the brake and hit the button several times.. Each time I hit the switch, I would add one minute to the timer.. then I would shut the truck off and remove the key, if I forgot to lock the truck it would lock by itself.. It worked great..
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 AM
PSN Veteran

I have the BD cool down and really like the fact I can get out, lock doors and walk away...truck is safe. Touch the break to put in gear kills the engine and no restart with out the key. Mine came from Summitt and Scott and Allen installed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2001 SD 2 wheel drive
DP tuned by Scott @ TNT of CC
ITP Regulated Return/ in tank & prepump mods: When Only the BEST will do!
Tank has been harpooned
Gages: Boost and Pressure
on the post & 4" S/S turbo Back by Aljay.
Rancho's all around

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Hood Rich

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL

Just got a basic remote starter installed. Before I get out of the truck I hit the starter button twice and take the key out, truck stays running for 20 minutes or until i hit the starter button two more times...

NWI Coal Rollers Association

Local 444- Rolling Coal Teamsters
via Beans Toonz
DI SS Up-Pipe
GTP38R
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
all about ford

i really love the idea of the timer. Thanks for the info gents. Any one know about the EGT's though?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 AM
PSN Veteran

Scott set mine at 400 degrees picking temp from left hand exhaust man. Hope that helps

2001 SD 2 wheel drive
DP tuned by Scott @ TNT of CC
ITP Regulated Return/ in tank & prepump mods: When Only the BEST will do!
Tank has been harpooned
Gages: Boost and Pressure
on the post & 4" S/S turbo Back by Aljay.
Rancho's all around
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefireman128 View Post
i really love the idea of the timer. Thanks for the info gents. Any one know about the EGT's though?
The general rule is shut it down under 300*F. The bearing in the turbo are lubed with engine oil and when the turbo gets shut down at high temperatures the turbo is hot enough to cook/coke the oil in the bearings.
Beans Diesel just posted about a week or so ago about the issue and responded in all the years they have been in business they have never seen a coked turbo.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
all about ford

thanks bushwaked, i normally try to let it get down to at least 350, but its so hard to sit in the truck at the firehouse to let it cool down before responding on a run. Money is a little tight right now and i'm trying to get some bills payed off.

SD01WD do you know how much one costs. I would probably install it myself to save money, but do you recall how long it took to install it

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

Here is an example of one type of timer. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=880

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
all about ford

thanks for the link, i'll hold on to it for when i get the money. Thank you for your time bushwakd, i hope i can afford one soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode