2000 F-250 cold air - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

2000 F-250 cold air

I have a 2000 F-250 with 120k miles on it. I was wondering what cold air system is the "best" to buy. What provides the most HP or fuel economy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Freak'n know it all

Re: 2000 F-250 cold air

none of do jack for mpg or hp ... I know all the manufacturers claim they do but they are like sheep.... sheep lie

instead of looking for the best look for the cheapest good one

There is a pretty popular intake setup on here which is a napa part number and a piece of pvc.... someone else will post it up

I have an afe stage 2 that I installed at the same time as a 4" mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo back. From stock I gained absolutely nothing... same fuel mileage same power maybe a little reduction in egt's but nothing dramatic

The real gain was a synthetic filter.... no oil and takes 30 seconds to clean it. Also the intake and exhaust are needed to support power mods in the future.

99.5 350 crewcab dually 4x4
stage 1 singles, PHP tunes, banks bighead,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
autometer gauges,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, South Bend HD clutch, Gen 2 wicked wheel, AIS intake system.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:16 PM
PSN Veteran

I had a S&B intake system and sold it and went to the napa 6637... like the big open element filter setup over the sealed intake.

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
05 Grille/08 Center Console
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Search on Napa 6637 or Tymar mod, here and on Google.

I just did the 6637 change and it feels a little more peppy than my AIS did. But my AIS filter was dirty so it might just be that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Banks Intercooler and exhaust
In tank and pre-pump mods
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM
PSN Local

i went with the 6637 air filter on my truck, just put iton 2 days ago. it made a huge difference for me. The truck spools up alot faster and i can hit 10 psi just drving normally and the turbo whistles a little more. Of course.................with a little gas she"ll make more.

1997 Ford F-250 SCLB
1.00 A/R exhaust housing
TS chip w/ Swamps tunes
6637 intake
4 inch turbo back exhaust
Single disc converter,billet backplate
B&M Trans cooler
BTS valve body w/transgo shiftplate
Wicked wheel 2
Adrenaline HPOP
Swamps diesel 160/100%'s
Irate E-fuel
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
PSN Veteran

Best..either a DYI using all the parts or just get a Tymar kit..

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
<-- it's like that

Like the others have said, an intake won't really do too much for MPG's.

There are several options that were posted up... the DIY with the 6637 filter (or the Tymar which is a similar setup, but sold as a complete kit rather than piecing it all together), or an intake setup like the AFE or S&B, or going with the Ford AIS (an upgrade heavy duty intake and filter that fits like it was factory installed). Any one of these are good, and the biggest differences are going to be maintenance, noise, and cost. Many of these setups can help a bit with EGT's too.

The Tymar and the DIY are the cheapest. They do filter very well, and many people like the looks of a huge filter in the engine bay. The drawback is that these are the noisiest setups. So if you like hearing turbo and engine noise, it's great. If you don't, you might not like it as much.

The Ford AIS is a severe duty filter. It's expensive, and the filters are more pricey than stock replacements. However, these filters do last a long time, and trap a ton of dirt. These are also very quiet setups, and will keep noise levels same as stock.

The others like AFE, S&B, etc. do a good job at filtering, and most come with a shield around the filter. These aren't quite as noisy as something like the Tymar or DIY, but they aren't as quiet as stock either. Some of these setups are pricey, but most come with reusable filters, so the lifetime cost of the setup is somewhat lower than those that require new replacement filters.

That's the short and skinny of it. Take your pick.

Me personally, I've run the stock setup, the DIY, and now currently run an AFE Stage II with the Proguard7 filter. I personally prefer the AFE simply because I don't have to buy new filters, and it's slightly quieter than the DIY. Other than that, there's really no difference between the DIY and the AFE in terms of performance.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM
PSN Veteran

I don't have a hotrod but tow a heavy trailer and I went with the AIS. It filters really good & they last a long time. I also addd the fender sleeve.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Black Stroker

I have a K&N but lots of people don't like them but i have never had an issue out of it but i were to buy a different on i would do afe stage 2 or the 6637

Matts tunes
Exhaust
K&N
Nozzles
A1000 fuel system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode