Question about regulated returns - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question about regulated returns

Ok guys i dont want to start anything by this thread but i have a question. Why are the regulated return kits from these sponsors so expensive? Is it due to Insurance liability reasons? I just looked around on a lot of sponsors pages and was shocked at the price of these kits ... There must be a underlying reason that im not seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 12:42 AM
riverjet

Re: Question about regulated returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnief View Post
Ok guys i dont want to start anything by this thread but i have a question. Why are the regulated return kits from these sponsors so expensive? Is it due to Insurance liability reasons? I just looked around on a lot of sponsors pages and was shocked at the price of these kits ... There must be a underlying reason that im not seeing.
I don't think they are that expensive.Price out all the parts yourself and I think you will see.Add your time and fuel cost in too looking for parts.Sponsers have to make a profit,pay bills,and invest in more parts development for our 7.3's.My ITP RR fits nice and looks clean. You can make your own a little cheaper.Hopping up diesels is not cheap.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:49 AM
PSN Local

I built my own with an Aeromotive regulator trying to save a buck. After chasing parts & pieces, Probably cost $20 more than the kit
Save yourself the hassle & get the kit. They are worth every penny.

E99 f250,10" lift,22" hostages wrapped in 37" kuhmo MTs,05 face,08 tail,console & diff cover,ranchhand f&r bumpers,diy rr fuel,adrenaline,autometer phantom IIs,PMT2 with DI tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,sinister 5/8"straw,DI Stallion tc &bts vb,6" mbrp black stacks soon to have:238/200s & new turbo,amp steps...

Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
All done now

Yep, if you want new, buy the kit.

I got a huge deal on a used regulator. Custom bent hard line, that I got for free. And used compression fittings from Home depot.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:29 PM
PSN Veteran

i saved about 200$ making my own rr, but like said before, between chasing parts, doin labor oyur self, whats your time worth to you. a homemade kit generally does not look as clean and professional as a bought kit does. its what you pay for, clean and professional and premade. but thats just my .02. i prefer to diy when i can, regardless if i just save a tad, or in this case, i saved quite a bit.

2010 f350 srw lariat
Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Look you can easily build a RR for far less. I am talking a full fuel system. There is no one that can debate this reasonably. I have a done a couple.

But as there is always a But

You have to actually look at the parts you are using comparative to those you get in these kits.

You also have to look at time not as free but as money. Say your job pays you $50 per hour. Now from the very second you start to look at info to find out what you need. Not just search out parts at the store but actually the time you spend on the net searching for what parts this and that. include all of that.

Versus

Going on the net asking one question about what are the top pre made systems. Then maybe do another hour of reading to be sure that other with similar goals have had good luck with it. the 5 mins to go on the site and order it.

Its not even close!!!!

Now if you are the type where your time is easy to come by. You are mechanically inclined. You do not mind running around to get parts possibly have a bit of waste here and there. Not worried about further support if you have an issue. You can piece one together for less no doubt about it.

The other reason to do your own system and its the one I personally find the most valid: You want a system built with specific parts and want it a certian way. You will not get that from any of the pre made kits. As I see it they all may have something you would rather have a different way and something that you wish another kit had but does not. You may use various parts from the vendor to build your setup but still the only way to get exactly what you want is to do it yourself. Well you could pay serious money and have a place piece together for you as well. But then you are playing for their labor to do it.

Also in the a pre made system you have to remember this is to a HUGE main stream field we are in. This is a niche market. If these guys are doing this for a living. They do need to actually make a profit from it. So yes I sure woudl hope given the net these says you woudl be able to piece a system together that would use the same parts and save some money.

Convenience is a commodity and thus has a price. Time is money. Facts of life.

Take all of that into account and I think it all works out.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:09 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnief View Post
Why are the regulated return kits from these sponsors so expensive? There must be a underlying reason that im not seeing.
Here is my take on it.....there has to be some costs associated with product development, sourcing system parts and holding inventory on hand, risk, advertizing and profit. If you add all that up, the system costs are probably right in line.

Sounds like alot of money and it is....however if you value your time (dollar wise) and account for research, sourcing parts and pre assembly time....I'm guessing the costs will be comparable to the premade systems.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Here is my take on it.....there has to be some costs associated with product development, sourcing system parts and holding inventory on hand, risk, advertizing and profit. If you add all that up, the system costs are probably right in line.

Sounds like alot of money and it is....however if you value your time (dollar wise) and account for research, sourcing parts and pre assembly time....I'm guessing the costs will be comparable to the premade systems.

jrc

Agreed JCart but even at retail prices the profit margin is quite large in my figuring .... Its just a 130 regulator , some earls braided lines , a bracket , some bent double flared 3/8" SS tubing and a cheap fuel pressure gauge. I guess it really doesnt matter. I was just wondering if they had a underlying issue that made these kits so expensive , but i guess not. As for me , i will build my own. Im a drag racer and have enough braided line and fittings in the shop from -3 to -16an to plumb 3 fuel systems and coolant and they are aluminum and anodized.

Like Tarm said tho , i think these kits are more geared for the shade tree modder then someone who has the resources equipment and know how to do it yourself.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Exactly
Old 12-26-2010, 11:34 PM
PSN Veteran

The other thing that puts a bend on perspective (mine not you guys) is that here in Canada, prices for mechanical goods can be significantly higher.....for a variety of reasons. In most instances I do stuff for the most part cause I get a kick out of doing it (mods) but also here it's cost prohibitive in my view to pay someone (to do mods) if you include parts in a lot of instances. E.g., the regulator cost you paid is 1/2 of what I would pay here.....so my cost rationale is skewed relative to you guys.....

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in