No Boost - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No Boost

I converted my truck from an E99 to a 99.5+ with the intent to run a GTP38R. I had some of my daughters college bills given to me as an early christmas present... so the 38R is on hold for a month I'll run a stock turbo until then.

My truck is Long cranking, and not starting when it's hot... I attribute that to the HPOP change, and it should work itself out within a couple hundred miles. When I drove it the truck built enough boost to blow an IC boot off, it was left a bit loose, I'm showing 18lbs or so on the guage... but it feels like there are rags stuffed in the intake, alot of noise but it never pulls.

I have a van turbo sitting on the shelf, but before I swap turbos I wanted to give you guys the details and see if I could be missing something else.

In addition to the E99 to 99.5 conversion, I also did the following:

1. Installed Airdog 2

2. RR - 1/2" feed line to Y block, then 3/8" dist. to heads, returned thru Fuelabs regulator set at 65psi

3. Modded 17* HPOP installed, new IPR installed

4. Bellowed up-pipes installed, stock gtp38 turbo for now

5. XLE4 PCM, shopping for PMT 1/2 now, PHP chip removed- will be sent for reflash when new PCM and 38R are installed.

I don't know if Im too close to the project to see the problem, any suggestions?

Early '99 F-350 CC 4x4

"Nobody hates you more than your own reflection" - Atmosphere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Village Idiot

Re: No Boost

my hpop change cleared in a matter of seconds..

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:35 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

pull the plug in both oil rails (where the ICP sensor is) twards the front of the heads and see if the rails are full of oil...if not..with a small funnel fill them with clean oil....

a common thing that happens is people don't realize there is dowel in the Y where bolts to the back of the turbo...start up the truck and stick your hand behind the turbo and see if you feel any hot exhaust blowing out from around the clamp....click on picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babies butt pin.jpg (93.0 KB, 12 views)

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Freak'n know it all

Also... just a longshot.... You DID hook the map sensor back up right?

99.5 350 crewcab dually 4x4
stage 1 singles, PHP tunes, banks bighead,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
autometer gauges,
, South Bend HD clutch, Gen 2 wicked wheel, AIS intake system.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Initially it felt like I had a major exhaust leak, or the wastegate was stuck open... I checked my V-band clamp with both my hand while running, and a mirror with the engine off... all is well. I do have the MAP sensor hooked up, I will pull the oil plugs and make sure they are full next... I have a turbo rebuild kit sitting on the shelf, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something small that I was missing before I pulled the turbo again.

Again it sounds like it's boosting, guage says it's boosting, but the truck is not responding to the boost... the other thing I noticed is my fuel pressure was dropping down about 8 - 10 psi at idle so I had to adjust it back up to 65 psi. After I had removed the "new" stock turbo, checked o-rings on the pedestal, checked for soot on the up pipe collector, and checked wastegate actuation again... when I re-installed the turbo and fired the truck up my fuel pressure was damn near 80 psi... I adjusted back down to 65psi and now it's dropping from 65 to 60ish at idle...

I have no fluids leaking, no apparent air leaks, and I just O-ringed my injectors 3 months ago... I have AE, but can't run it because my laptop is on loan to the daughter, thus the christmas bills...

Early '99 F-350 CC 4x4

"Nobody hates you more than your own reflection" - Atmosphere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode