Swamps pump - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Hated by All

Swamps pump

What's the difference (other than the fact that they are 2 diff pumps) between theirs and a dual pump set-up??
Anyone using it? Anyone had both???

PARIAH

2001 F-350
Resurection has begun.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Swamps pump

they use a gear pump instead of a swash plate style pump which is what the factory pump is.
i am sure someone very familiar with the pumps will be able to give you much more insight into this than i can. i think there are quite a few people running that set up.

2002 F250
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 AM
WHAT???

i can't give you any technical answers on the swamps pump but i am running it in my truck and love it. theres have no problem getting big oil to the injectors and it hasnt given me one problem. there is more than 2000 miles on it now with no problems. if charles or golfer read this they can help out ALOT more than i can.

2000 F-250 ex sb 4x4 Swamped 7.3 (CR coming soon)

1999 F-450 cc fb 4x4 Swamped 7.3 (STOLEN)

2008 F-250 cc sb 4x4 H&S, S&B, 5", BMF, Grabbers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Hated by All

Nobody else got a Swamps pump?? Do they suck

PARIAH

2001 F-350
Resurection has begun.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

right before i left tds the TERMINATOR NATION thread was just being locked, and the main reason why i came here. so id say most people like terminator. but since i have tried none of them i geuss i cant really say anything
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 AM

IMO, they are not as good as using two swash-plate pumps. The gear pump (Gen3 uses a Haladex power steering pump, or the two that I have seen did at any rate) is not a good choice for the application. I also did not like the number of fittings in the system, more places to leak. There have been reports of hot start issues.

The Gen3 will provide more oil than 1 stock pump though, so it does work. Two 17* HPOPs will provide enough oil for any of the currently available injectors and will do it with the same refinement and LTO that the stock single pump did.

Talk to the vendors directly, and talk to guys running the systems directly and make a decision based on that. Price is only an issue in the absence of quality.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
you want some of this?

Mines been working fine. No hot start issues that I know of. Very easy install, the new setups have all hard lines, and no way you can hook em up wrong. Only issue I had was the stalling out after a wot run. DP tuning took care of that. I have a few other bugs to work out on my truck, but I believe its another problem. The gen 3 oil works great.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

Most people don't want to post in a thread on oil systems because when it comes to oil, Powerstroke owners can drum up more drama than a bunch of high school cheerleaders.

I try to post the facts about it, and here I will again.

The reason for using a piston pump in place of a gear pump as a single unit is because the pumping efficiency of a gear pump drops off rapidly at a given point down near minimum operating rpm. This means that the 500 or so rpm during starter motor cranking is often not enough to produce sufficient pressure for cranking when the gear pump is used alone to power the truck. This was the Gen1. However, once up over the efficiency rpm, the pump efficiency runs basically flat lined all the way out to maximum pump rpm. It was just the starting that was the issue. The Gen1 is capable of many TIMES the displacement of dual 17* pumps.

So, a piston pump was sourced and placed in the stock location that could move MASSIVE amounts of oil from a single pump. Worked and still works great. But the cost is there. Billet adapter, lines, fittings, remote IPR, BIG ASS pump, and so on. Not to mention fitting a pump of that displacement in the valley is time consuming. That was Gen2 There was an easier way. Again, capable of many TIMES the displacemnt of dual 17* pumps.

The Gen3. Utilizing OEM components to mount the pump to the engine designed by international, the Gen3 simply adds a gear pump to the existing OEM piston pump already on the powerstroke. There are not hot start issues because the OEM piston pump is still there to start the truck in case the gear pump isn't quite up on efficiency at the starter motor rpm. The Haldex pump is NOT a powersteering type pump. It is not a vane pump, but a gear pump. Basically the most durable pump there is. It is the exact same pump type that the Lube oil pump is on every powerstroke on the planet. Even the other oil systems are drawing oil off of the existing lube oil pump, wich is a gear pump. Also, since it is such a common pump type, and the pattern is also common, you can swap the entire pump out for one of differing displacement on the order of 10min or so. Depending on the pump you go with, the system is once again capable of many TIMES the displacement of dual 17* pumps.

There is an inlet line and a CNC bent steel outlet line...... That's 2. I don't consider that a lot of fittings.

And they simply look good. I mean, any stacked pump system just looks nice. Clean and simple function. I can honestly say (because I've done it many times working on the engine) that I can have the entire Gen3 off and back on in less than 10 minutes total. If that doesn't speak for its functionality with respect to fitment and servicability I don't know what does.

They pump more oil. If you honestly need it, they can pump MUCH, MUCH more oil. Isn't that what dual pumps are for?

I don't want it to make coleslaw, I just want it to pump oil, and it does that well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Has anyone ever done any side by side comparisons on the same engine in the same truck. I suggest dyno runs while monitoring all the important stats. I don't think there are many out there that can even claim to know the performance difference between the pumps on the same or similar engines. I know many will throw out their own SOPometer measurements, but what good is that really?

In the name of friendly competition I would love to see the manufacturers, or at least vendors, step up and put together an honest unbiased comparison. At the very least it would provide invaluable marketing material.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Do you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonka View Post
Has anyone ever done any side by side comparisons on the same engine in the same truck. I suggest dyno runs while monitoring all the important stats. I don't think there are many out there that can even claim to know the performance difference between the pumps on the same or similar engines. I know many will throw out their own SOPometer measurements, but what good is that really?

In the name of friendly competition I would love to see the manufacturers, or at least vendors, step up and put together an honest unbiased comparison. At the very least it would provide invaluable marketing material.
Hold tight my son.....it is in the works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode