Keeping Boots in Place - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Limp Member

Keeping Boots in Place

Besides eliminating the lack-luster boot all together, and welding everything solid. What would be the best process for keeping boots in place?

I am considering buying a bead roller and trying a couple different rolls till I find the right combo. What yall think?

01 F350 CC DRW 4x4 #46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Keeping Boots in Place

I was having the same problem with blowing boots. I purchased a boot kit from Dieselsite which comes with new clamps. I sprayed hairspray on them and clamped them tight and have never blown another boot
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
HP Junky

I welded a ring around the ends of ech boost tube. I just used some arc welding stick and bent it around the pipe. Then just tack welded it all the way around.

Now you can slip the boot on and clamp the clamps down tight on the backside of the ring. Haven't had any issues since...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:19 PM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt
Talking Re: Keeping Boots in Place

JW has a good solution. The other is find an exhaust shop with a bead roller and roll a positive bead on the tube behind teh negative bead or roll the negative bead out. The other poor mans trick is to put 6-8 pan head 1/4 sheet metal screws into the tubes @ the negative bead and install clamp behind them. The boost will never come off. Poor mans bead. .

Got Boost?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4

Powered by Oil driven by Madness.
Post Injector upgrade Spin: 577/944
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dynojet
HP: 597 BWD Superflow
13.152 @ 104.7 mph
Mods: Everything plus the Twins.
In the mail: Everyone's stuff but my own

Planned upgrades: sho mods!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 PM
HP Junky

I don't think I'd go the sheet metal screw route, I'd be worried the heads of the screws might tear the boot...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
PSN Veteran

I have heard of other using "gorilla glue" too.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Mike (Bigr) posted some pics of a real nice setup Turbonetics has. It involves bungs welded to the tube and heim joints screwed into an aluminum block. Looks really nice and is functional too!

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

What kind of boost pressure are we talkin here? I think that most people simply do not thoroughly clean the boots and pipes before they put them back on. If you don't use something like LPS presolve, or Brakeclean until the silicone starts to get so damn sticky you can hardly slide the rag on it to keep cleaning it, you're not doing the job fully. I see so many people half-ass clean the boots and sometimes not even clean the pipes at all and then blame the boots and pipes. Just spraying it down with brakeclean and wiping the visible oil off does not count. You have to keep cleaning until the coupler gets VERY tacky. You'll know when the oil is Really off of it.

If the silicone is so clean that it's actually tacky and impossible to slide the rag on, and the pipe is squeeky clean you will not blow the boot with the proper torque on the T-bolt clamp under about 50lbs of boost.

Make sure the pipes haven't become "egged" out from constantly overtorqueing the clamps either. That can make them impossible to seal.

A good clean boot/pipe with the right clamp properly torqued shouldn't come loose. It should literally blow the boot apart.

Another thing usually overlooked is relative movement. The engine torques up like crazy when at full power. You would be surprised how that can pretty much rip the pipes out of the boots with or without any boost pressure. Make sure you have some hump boots somewhere on each side, or a long section of silocone hose to absorb that movement. A standard silicone coupler 4" or so long will not take that. They will come loose no matter what the boost. It will try and shove the passenger's side down and pull the driver's side apart when the engine torque's over.

If it's just impossible to get to work right, or you really are running serious boost pressure, there is a company that makes compression type connectors for the cold side stuff. I beleive they are usually purple at the collar. About 200 bucks a piece, but they will not let go. Either that, or V-band it everywhere and run some flex couplers one for each side. That would obviously not let go.

Good Luck.

On Edit:

I found a link to one of the crazy couplers. http://www.burnsstainless.com/Hardwa...insclamps.html
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Limp Member

What kind of boost pressure are we talkin here?

Beyond stock... Beyond 40 PSI. I want a permanent solution that will work with a custom made inter cooler pipes and a couple of turbos. I refuse to use any type of glue, other than hair spray. What the heck happens when you need to take it back apart and your parked on the side of road/track? Besides the fact that most glues wont take that kind of heat and will crack out or even worse suck that garbage into the system.

I keep thinking a rolled bead (or two smaller beads) with double clamps.

01 F350 CC DRW 4x4 #46
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If it's just impossible to get to work right, or you really are running serious boost pressure, there is a company that makes compression type connectors for the cold side stuff. I beleive they are usually purple at the collar. About 200 bucks a piece, but they will not let go.

I believe that's what David showed me last time I was at DI. I'm gonna be using those on the Fordota, and eventually the big truck.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode