Injector noise = longevity? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Question Injector noise = longevity?

It's no secret that the injectors make more noise when switching from lower chip settings to the higher HP settings. In my simple way of thinking this increased noise sure sounds like things are working harder and that means the parts should wear out faster? Does this make sense to anyone else?

In particular there seems to be a big jump in noise when I switch from a tow program (40 or 60) to the 80econo setting. I like the increased MPG when using the setting but not if it's going to shorten the life of the injectors significantly. I have been told some of the increased noise is from advancing the timing which makes sense although the injectors seems to make a similar amount of noise in the 80econo and 120+ settings.

Who has alot of miles on the 80econo setting? I have maybe 30K miles total between two vehicles. Anyone have more than 100K running the program?

Comments..........

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Injector noise = longevity?

I don't think you can hear the injectors anyways. I too notice that there is a louder engine sound when I switch to 80E and my feeling is that it is because of the timing. The way it sprays fuel affects power and the combustion characteristics so that might be what you are hearing. By themselves, injectors are not that noisy.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
DI POWER

Get some single-shots and tell me how quiet they are, there not compared to splits.

01 250 sc xlt -" Forged Rods," Full Force 238/100s inj, Reg kit, Big fuel,DP F5 tunes, ATS BB turbo, ARP Headstuds, Com 910s, DI Pushrods, IDM mod, AFE Stage 2, TE2 HPOP R-IPR, BTS Trans, 6.0 intercooler, Fluidampr, HX, Cool max trans cooler, 4''exhaust & MORE.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joediesle View Post
Get some single-shots and tell me how quiet they are, there not compared to splits.
Still though, that is from the nature of the combustion event, not the injector itself emitting the noise.

The injector itself isn't any more or less noisy than a split, it's the single shot combustion event that is more noisy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
DI POWER

Agreed. Still miss the quietness of splits but not the lack of power from them..........mini-me's all the way.

01 250 sc xlt -" Forged Rods," Full Force 238/100s inj, Reg kit, Big fuel,DP F5 tunes, ATS BB turbo, ARP Headstuds, Com 910s, DI Pushrods, IDM mod, AFE Stage 2, TE2 HPOP R-IPR, BTS Trans, 6.0 intercooler, Fluidampr, HX, Cool max trans cooler, 4''exhaust & MORE.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joediesle View Post
Agreed. Still miss the quietness of splits but not the lack of power from them..........mini-me's all the way.
SINGLES FTW!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Then why does 2-cycle oil in the fuel significantly quiet the engine noise? I have tried it and it definitely quiets my engine. I was under the impression that the 2-cycle oil lubes and therefore quiets the injectors. If this is true then you can in fact hear the injectors firing. Otherwise, the 2-cycle oil is quieting the engine........how?

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehunter View Post
Then why does 2-cycle oil in the fuel significantly quiet the engine noise? I have tried it and it definitely quiets my engine. I was under the impression that the 2-cycle oil lubes and therefore quiets the injectors. If this is true then you can in fact hear the injectors firing. Otherwise, the 2-cycle oil is quieting the engine........how?
Changing the way the fuel burns.

Like I said before, I noticed it much quieter after I did the Regulated Return and a little more after I did big oil. Why? Because the RR feeds more fuel to the #8. With that, it changed the combustion characteristics. Big Oil became a sort of HPX which again affected how the fuel got into the chamber which affected how it burns.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM

The injectors do tick, but they don't clatter. There's a very definite difference you can hear.

It does quiten the tap some, but the "tap" is there in stock trucks and in modded, I don't think it's a result of the chip program.

99% of what you hear when you change to the 80E program is timing. The other 1% comes from the increased ICP making the injectors louder, but I really doubt a human ear could hear that change. JMHO
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

OK...it sounds like I need to investigate a fuel system to quiet the engine down. In the 80econo setting just cruising down the highway empty the engine noise gets to be plenty annoying. In the tow programs it is not nearly as noticable. More research. More $$$.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode